Episode Nineteen

I pulled back in utter surprise as I thought about what he'd just said

Eli killed my demon of a father? I really didn't know how to feel about that, but a massive sense of relief fell over me. Now my dad would never ever hurt me or blackmail me again.

"There's more." The heat of Eli's gaze roamed my face. "I'm the silent benefactor for your college scholarship. I've been paying for the scholarship with my percentage of the business that Nico and I do. We split it down the middle. He makes the sale, and I protect our shit. I use my half to pay for my tuition and yours."

Now that one was a shock. Had Eli been stalking me? What the hell?

I pulled back my hands, slowly disentangled myself from him, and moved away. "Is there anything else?"

Eli's eyes stayed glued on me. "No. I just wanted you to go to college and start over. I knew you had no family after what I did, so I pulled some strings and made sure you got the money you needed to start a new life."

"And the tattoo?" My voice was monotone. I should've been screaming at him or thanking him, but honestly, I had no idea how to react.

Eli rubbed a hand over his heart. "I got this tattoo before I met you. I had a dream about you when I was thirteen. I became infatuated with the idea of you, so I saved up some money and got your name tattooed over my heart when I was in high school.

"I knew you would be the love of my life. Over the years, my memory of the dream faded. I had no idea how I'd meet you or when, but I knew your name. I could never forget your name. It wasn't until Cordova's party when I saw you for the first time that I knew it was you. The connection was instant and you were an open book to me that night."

I couldn't stop thinking about how he said he knew I would be the love of his life. How could he be so sure? One thing I did know was that our connection was instant. "What do you mean by an open book?"

Eli scratched his forehead. "After the GHB kicked in, you attached yourself to me and opened your mind to me without question. Before you say anything, I know it's fucked up and a violation of your privacy, but I didn't know it would happen like that and once I receive information through a psychic connection, I can't stop it."

Of course, he'd found out everything about me that night. From the moment I'd seen Eli, I'd become instantly infatuated with him and started hanging all over him. I hadn't known about his abilities, but there was nothing I could do about it now.

I played with the hem of my jeans. "Tell me about my dad."

Eli grabbed his hat and flipped it backward, slipping it over his head. He rubbed his hands together anxiously. "After I was shown everything that happened to you, I was enraged. I knew I had to do something, so less than a week after I met you, I decided to find your father and make some threats so he would treat you right. It was after two in the morning, and the streets were empty when I waited to confront him outside one of his favorite bars.