Episode Eleven

Eli ripped the Charger's door open and sat down with me in his arms, quickly slamming the door

My breathing was out of control. Tears were still streaming down my face.

Cassie, Angie, and Shaun were dead.

"Keep it together, Lil. I got you." Eli whispered into my ear, helping me to focus and control my crying.

"Holy fuck!" Nico flung open the driver's door as more screeching came from the field. Nico slid into his seat, slamming the door.

"Adam, come on!" The small girl from the barn yelled before diving into the back seat. 

The silent guy from the barn climbed in behind Nico.

"Close the fucking doors!" Eli yelled, squeezing me to him. 

Adam stood motionless, staring at Cassie. Everyone around him was dead or screeching, and he didn't even try to get in the car.

"Close. The. Doors!" Nico hollered, pounding on the steering wheel.

A rush of relief fell over me when our two stowaways finally shut their doors.

"What the hell is going on?" Silent guy's head fell into his hands, clawing his hair.

"Hype is going on. This is what happens when they come down." Nico started the Charger, glancing around for screechers.

"Hype makes them bite like that?" Barn girl pointed at Adam who was no longer holding his arm. Dark blood poured out of his wound, streaming off his fingers to the dirt. It looked wrong. His blood was darker than maroon, and was arguably black.

"Yes." Nico couldn't tear his gaze away from Adam who started jerking his head back and forth like he was looking toward multiple noises all at once.

"Why is Adam just standing there moving his head like that? What's wrong with him?" Silent guy asked.

"He's changing into one," Eli answered.

"Eli?" I whispered. "What are we going to do?"

Eli tugged me closer, rubbing my arm. "Nico, try to turn us around in the field. Take us toward the barn."

Nico's gaze swept over the dark, overgrown field. "Really?"

"We're sitting ducks out here." Eli said under his breath.

"I don't know if the Charger will make it without getting stuck." Silent guy said.

"Shut up, Mike." Eli's voice was low and controlled. "It's just a field. There's enough room to turn around."

"We can't go back that way." I whispered. "Your Grandma."

Eli's gaze flicked to mine. "You're right. Maybe we can think of another option."