Episode Eight

One hour later we pulled down a long, deserted dirt road in dire need of a makeover

One hour later we pulled down a long, deserted dirt road in dire need of a makeover. The bumps and ruts alone were scary as hell and would be extremely difficult for me to maneuver, but Eli had no problem. He'd apparently driven this road many times before.

The argument between Eli and Nico was at a standstill for the moment. Nico had invited several people to join us, but I had no idea if anyone would show. I desperately hoped no one would have the energy to drive all the way out here.

As we got to the end of the road, the headlights spotlighted a run-down cabin with a front porch. I could tell at one time in its ancient lifespan, someone had painted the wood, but the color that had once been robust was now a fading memory.

For the first fifteen minutes of the drive, Miss Gina had given me a history lesson about the property before she'd fallen asleep on my shoulder. The cabin belonged to her late husband, George, who she apparently talked to on a daily basis.

The last part threw me for a loop, but hey, who was I to judge? I would give anything to talk to my dead mother.

The cabin sat on over twenty acres of land and was mainly used for hunting and camping purposes. Thankfully, it had a working plumbing system including well-water and a septic tank. Eli proudly added that he'd assisted his grandpa when they installed solar panels, and renewable energy was a big plus.

There was no denying it, the place looked rough from the outside, making me question its accommodations, but beggars can't be choosers. I'd make do. I always did.

Honestly, it was comforting to know we were staying far away from the big cities for the time being.

"So who's coming?" I glanced outside, but it was too dark to see much more than the overgrown grass and forest. Definitely plenty of space and wilderness.

"Not sure yet." Nico didn't glance up as he continued to text.

I glanced in the mirror. Eli's eyes were narrowed in anger as he parked the car.

"You left all of our guns here, right?" Nico asked Eli without lifting his focus from the phone.

Eli clenched his jaw. "Why?"

Nico glanced at Eli. "For protection. Why else?"

"We have our guns here. They're not for your dumbass friends. If you think I'm sharing my supplies with Adam and his friends, you're a fucking moron, but if you want to take your shit and shack up with them, then go ahead. There's not enough room for all of them here. I have Gramma and Lilly to take care of, Nico." Eli clenched his jaw harder, throwing a quick side-glance at me. His eyes were burning with anger, but I knew he wasn't upset with me. 

Nico scoffed. "I'm not going with them, Dude. You're like my brother. They'll be fun for a few hours, but I'll want to kick Jeremy's ass in the morning. I always do."