Chapter Two

The following day, Zafira, Aunt Maimuna and Hajara were left home alone. Her brothers had gone out to visit some friends and Mariya had resumed school.
Laying in her bed, Zafira flipped through pages of a book by her favorite writer J.A Jance, titled Web of Evil. She loved how suspenseful and interesting her books were. Since she was done helping Hajara with the dishes, she decided to keep herself busy.

Meanwhile, Hajara was trying to put the living room in order when her phone rang. On picking the phone, it was Hajia Halima's call. She quickly dropped the rag in her hand to answer.

On the phone:

Hajara: Hello ma.

Hajiya Halima: Yes Hajjo (as everyone called her). Aunt Maimuna would be leaving for Kano today. So I'd like you to help her pack up so she doesn't forget anything.

Hajara: Alright ma, I'll do that.

Hajia Halima: Tell her I won't be home in time to see her off. Malam Sule (the driver) would be back with the car by 1pm. See you guys when I get home.

Hajia Halima said after which she hung up.

It was almost 12:30pm and Aunt Maimuna was set to leave for Kano.

"Aunt don't forget to send my regards to everyone in Kano."
Zafira said.

"Of course I will my dear."
Maimuna returned.

"I would have loved to come along but resumption is in two weeks and it's my final semester. I don't want to take chances."
Zafira said turning to collect Maimuna's purse from Hajara.

" We're all going to miss you."
Hajjo said.

Malam Sule arrived just on time.
They were exchanging their goodbyes while he put the luggage in the car. Waving her goodbye as Malam Sule drove out of the compound. Just then, Mahmud and Mari arrived home from school.

"Where's Aunt Maimuna?"
Mari asked.

"She just left for Kano."
Zafira answered.

"You guys just missed her."
She said.

"Too bad! I didn't get to hug her before she left."
Mariya said looking rather sad.

"Trust me the hugs you gave her while she was here were enough. You hugged her almost every time you went to her!"
Zafira said trying to prevent outbrust of laughter.

"I still wanted to hug her."
Mariya said funnily.

"Chatter boxes!"
Mahmud exclaimed.

"My ears hurt already. Go pull off your uniform at least."
Mahmud said smiling at both his sisters.

"Brother Mahmud, where's Zaid?"
Hajjo asked getting Mariya's school bag.

"Oh! He's still at a friend's."
Mahmud answered.

"I left so I could go pick Mari."
He explained.

"I'll just set the table for lunch."
Zafira said.

When they were done having lunch, someone was heard exchanging greetings with the security guard outside. Zaid was home just in time for the evening prayer.
He said the salam on entering the house. Mahmud and Zafira returned the salam as they were the only ones in the living room.

"Hey everyone. Who missed me?"
Zaid asked.

"Not me!"
Zafira said wryly.

"Of course you didn't!"
Zaid exclaimed accusingly.