Chapter 5: What really happened

I regretted what I did almost immediately. In truth, I hadn't exactly been fair with Deku, and I, Ochako Uraraka, had lied to him, as he had done to me. My mom wasn't okay, and I took my anger out on him.

Hosu General City Hospital

I was running again, my father wasn't far behind me. Dodging doctors and patients alike, I finally found the ward I was looking for. The ward itself was almost empty, barring a heartbeat monitor, some other hospital equipment and... my mother.

"Mama!" I screamed, going back to childish nicknames as I ran over. She was on a breathing machine, sleeping, but she had various bandages and scars covering her face. She looked, in that moment, a shadow of the beautiful woman she used to be.

"Mama..." I repeated again, bursting into tears, as Dad finally caught up to me. A doctor soon followed, and gave us the news.

"She was hit by the car quite badly, and she's not in a stable condition. It'd be a few days before we can tell what's going to happen to her"

"You mean she might not make it?" Dad said, his voice close to breaking.

The doctor didn't reply. A look was all that was needed. More tears started to escape, and the only thing I could do was cry.

A couple of hours later, Dad took me to a cafe, something we usually couldn't afford to do, but he made an exception because of the situation. It was a solemn atmosphere, the expresso doing little to change that. I was still trying to process what had happened, but I couldn't take my mind off the state my mother was in. I was, understandably, more scared then I had ever been, but I was confused as well. It felt guilty, but my interaction with Deku earlier kept springing to the front of my mind. I couldn't figure out why, and it felt wrong considering what just happened, but my previous feelings for him started to stir up, and I burst into tears again. My Dad, oblivious to the true reason I was crying, tried to comfort me, but it was to no use. This wasn't a problem that could be dealt with overnight. But then, in the midst of all this, I remember my mother telling a younger version of me to stay strong in hard times, and you'll find a light out of every darkness. Huh, it sounds like something Deku would say. Oh god damn it Deku! Why do you always appear! But maybe, what if he's the light? No! Not now! Although, at least I've decided something. I am going to be strong and happy, I don't need other people to worry about me, and some good will come out of this. Right?

My mother was set to stay at the hospital for the foreseeable future, my dad to stay with her. Me? They decided the best thing for me was to go back home, go back to U.A so i continue having a somewhat normal life. But that's not what I want. I want to let everyone know my life is not normal, because I don't want this to become a normal life. At least Deku knows about my issues. But no one else does, and he's not the type of guy to gossip, unlike a certain pink alien i know. I can't lie, out of all the things to admire about him, that's probably my favourite. He's a good friend, and if a secret needs to be kept he'd probably die before he'd tell anyone. Though obviously i'd rather he didn't. God knows what i'd do if he died. Let's not think about that, he's perfectly fine anyway. Come on Ochako, be positive right now, be like Deku! You'll be seeing him tomorrow! The worst thing i can do right now is think of sad things. I should think of happy things instead, like Deku! He's always happy. Wow, huh, he really can't get out of my thoughts. Maybe that's a good thing though.

It was only the next day when I realised how much of a task I had ahead of me. To stay happy, so others couldn't see what was wrong with me, was a monumental task. I had already broken down in tears twice that morning and that was both before 10AM. I needed to pull myself together, I couldn't let matters out of my own hands affect me like that. But of course it did, and I stayed in a mess until I was thirty minutes from home, thirty minutes from returning to U.A. Of course I'd have questions to answer, where I'd gone, why I wasn't in the next day etc, but with Deku beside me and a beaming smile on my face we could answer that. And then I get around to wondering how I'd get through the rest of the day. Oh boy was I in for a test

My heart was pounding as I walked through U.A's campus. It wasn't too far off midday, so I decided it would be easier for me to spend some time back in the dorms during lunch break, before joining the class for the final couples of lessons. It gave me more time to prepare myself anyway.

My heartbeat got louder as I walked past some older students. They weren't meant to be out of class, but they were anyway, and they were deep in discussion.

"...Izuku Midoriya... ...Yeah I heard he got sent back to the dorms... ...could always go question him I suppose, sounds fun hearing him cry."

I paused as I heard this. Izuku Midoriya... Deku!

"You can't do that you know." I spoke quietly.

The three second-years stopped their talk, and, surprised at my sudden appearance, started laughing.

"Are you his girlfriend? What are you gonna do, stop us?"

His taunt was soon followed by a cry of pain. My fist, in a fit of anger, had launched itself at the second-year pretty much instinctively, and I had no regrets as he collapsed in pain.

The other two upperclassmen yelled in anger, before they were stopped by the re-emerging ringleader.

"Save it for some other time. We best start going anyway. See you around, Ochako Uraraka."

I froze as they left. How did he know my name?

The thought lingered with me for a while, but I brushed it off as I approached the dorms. How he knew my name, I don't know, but the fact that he said that Deku was back in the dorms really confused me. Maybe he was ill or something, if that was the case, I best go check on him, see if he needs anything. I approached his room cautiously. I had only ever seen his room once, and I'd never actually been in it, but again, I brushed off these thoughts and knocked on the door. I heard rustling inside, which suggested music, and the door opened before me to find a teary-eyed Deku standing in the doorway.

And you know what happened next.

Author's note:

Another chapter finally! Sorry this one took so long, I ended up having to edit it as i really didn't like where it was going, but in the end I'm proud of where this ended up. I don't want this story to be entirely Deku, so I decided to use Ochako's POV instead. If I end up doing this more, I will always make it clear. Also WOW guys this story has really exploded since I last posted. 358 reads. Thats so much more then i could of ever hoped for with this, and I don't know what I'll do when i reach 1k reads, but I'm sure I'll do something special for you guys, so keep voting, reading, commenting, sharing you guys know what to do. So as always,

GO BEYOND

PLUS ULTRA!!!

And thanks so much!!!