Chapter twenty-three

I ended up falling asleep at around one in the morning, but when I woke up again I felt Winter's body pressed against mine. I smiled, knowing he was back, and cuddled at his side, ignoring the pain of the bruises all over my body Aiden had inflicted the day before.

When we got up to get breakfast, I was itching to know if Winter knew what Aiden did yesterday. The moment Winter put his arm around my shoulder I winced, and that must have alerted him something had happened. "Are you okay?" He asked me.

I nodded, but when he gave me a look I rolled my sleeves up so he could see the bruises on my body. His mouth fell open. "Oh my god, Jacey! What happened? If Aiden did this I swear to god! Do you have any more?"

I pulled him into the bedroom without a word and took my shirt off. He ran his hands over my body, pulling away every time I let out a gasp as his hands connected with the bruises. "I'm so sorry..." He whispered.

"Sorry for what?" I snapped. "Sorry for the fact Aiden hit me? Or are you sorry that you left? Or maybe you're sorry because you can't read?" I covered my mouth. Crap, I hadn't meant to say that last part! Winter stepped back, hurt. "Who told you that?" He asked quietly.

"Uh... Aiden said you were dumb, and when I said you weren't, he told me you couldn't read or write." I mumbled. He grinded his teeth. "Well, he's just being a hypocrite, because he can't read or write either." With that, he turned and stomped away.

I thought he would have left for the rest of the day, but he returned only a moment later to ask me if I was okay and if I needed anything. When I said no, he sat down at his desk with his head in his hands. "I can't believe he told you that. I really didn't need that on top of everything else..."

"What happened?" I asked him, putting my shirt back on.

"My Mum..."

"What?"

"Nothing, never mind."

I didn't push for answers. It was something about his Mother, and that seemed to be a sensitive subject, even though I didn't know why. I had never seen her, nor heard much about her. Maybe her and Winter's Dad kicked him out when he came out about being bisexual. Or maybe he moved out on his own. That was probably where he went every month. To visit them. I didn't believe they would kick Winter out of the house. I had seen a few pictures of them, and they seemed far too nice to hurt Winter in that way. Plus, if he had been kicked out, then where was he getting all his money from? He must have moved out by himself.

<><><><>

"Jacey, get up!" My face started to get beaten with pillows as Winter tried to get me out of bed. "What the hell do you want, Winter?" I groaned. Clearly, he was feeling better than the day before. I wasn't. My body hurt from the bruises, plus I was tired and in a bad mood.

"I need to show you something. Get dressed."

I heaved a sigh and rolled out of bed. Winter bounced excitedly by the door as I pulled on yesterday's clothes and tied my shoelaces up. As soon as I was done, he grabbed my hand and pulled me downstairs.

Victor jumped out of our way when we passed. Winter threw open the front doors and didn't even bother closing them behind us. Sun shone in my face, making me squint. I let go of Winter's hand to reach up and rub my eyes. "Jesus, its bright."

"Come on Jace!" He said, clearly frustrated as he grabbed my sleeve and started to pull me again. I followed him, grumbling to myself.

After a few moments, I began to realize we were taking a specific trail. Towards the dog pen. I stopped once again, shaking my head. "No. You are not taking me to the dogs."