Melt (Kaidou Shun)

Requested by @Winge64 , I hope you enjoy!

It took a bit of effort to finally ask out and date Kaidou. It wasn't that you didn't like each other- that was far from the problem. It was the fact that neither of you were experienced enough with romance to know how to approach it. Every subtle hint you made towards him was, unfortunately, misread as platonic until finally, you met him face-to-face on Valentine's day, handing him a box of decently crafted hand-made chocolates and confessing to him- making it quite clear that this was romantic. 

After a taking a moment for the two of you to let your hearts calm down, he nervously (but excitedly) accepted, making plans for a date at the park- simple but sweet, in your opinion.

So now, here you were at the park after school, walking alongside your now boyfriend, Kaidou. Both of your hearts were racing, despite nothing even happening. Simply being beside him, knowing how he felt about you, was enough to send your heart into orbit. 

"T-this is.. really nice so far." 

You spoke gently, smiling over at Kaidou. He returned your smile- although with a much redder face- and nodded in agreement. 

"Y-yeah! It's, uh- kinda cloudy out, but.. at least the sun won't be in our eyes, hehe."

He sheepishly chuckled, his bandaged hand going to scratch the back of his neck as he continued to grin back at you. Geez, that silly grin alone was enough to make butterflies flutter in your stomach. You looked up at the sky and noticed that he was right, with large, puffy gray clouds looming over you, not yet pouring down rain on the two of you yet.

"Hopefully we can stay out a little longer before it starts to rain."

You added, turning your head away from the sky and back towards him, giving him a pleasant smile that made his heart do a flip in his chest. Continuing down the sidewalk, you two enjoyed the quiet atmosphere, the trees rustling quietly in a breeze that seemed to carry the threat of rain with it. 

Glancing down at your hand, Kaidou took a nervous gulp and reached out carefully with his own, linking your pinkies together with a flustered smile. You glanced at him from the corner of your eye, your heart skipping a beat at the small action. Your own smile widened a bit at seeing Kaidou- who was looking in the other direction with a red face and shaky smile. 

After thinking for just a moment, you unlinked your pinky from his, making him turn and look at you in confusion- only to change to a bright smile upon feeling you gently grab his hand, holding it with an equally warm grin. Sparks seemed to fly from the small move- both of your faces tinted red as you slowly kept walking around, hearts beating in sync with another.

A few moments after you raised your confidence enough to hold his hand, the sky slowly started to sprinkle down rain on the two of you and your surroundings. You shielded your eyes as you looked upwards, letting out a sigh as the rain started to pick up.

"Ah- it's already raining, huh? We should probably go home now, so we don't get soaked."

You spoke, turning to smile at him to see the same expression on his face. 

"Uh- yeah, that's a good idea. Dang, I should've brought an umbrella, but I didn't think it was gonna rain until later. Let's swing by a convenience store, it'll be a lot better to get an umbrella instead of ruin our clothes."

He responded, covering his head slightly with his opposite hand and glancing around. You hummed in agreement, looking around as well and starting to walk quickly out of the park, hands still linked together. Thankfully, it wasn't a long walk to the nearest store, and you both took cover under the overhang for a moment to dry off. After shaking off some of the rainwater, you entered the store, letting go of Kaidou's hand to go fetch an umbrella.

"Do you have any cash on you to pay for it?"

You asked, holding an umbrella in your hand and looking over at Kaidou. It wasn't anything expensive, but considering you were just a student, you didn't carry much- if any- spare cash on you.

"Oh, yeah- let me check how much."

He quickly answered, taking out a black wallet and opening it, counting the coins that he had. His brows furrowed as he took them out, placing them in his hand and recounting them.

"I only have enough for one, is that okay?"

"Yeah! We can just share the umbrella, so neither of us get more wet."

You nodded your head, smiling warmly at him. Your cheeks warmed up just a bit at the thought of standing right next to him under the small umbrella, both your hand and his holding it still, nearly touching. With a quick glance at Kaidou, you could tell he felt the same- his face tinted red as he shook his head up and down, gently taking the umbrella from your hand to check out.

Leaving the store, Kaidou opened up the umbrella, holding it above both of you. It was clear to see that you had to stand closer together to avoid getting rained on, and so with a nervous gulp you inched towards him, reaching out and holding onto the handle of the umbrella with him.

"A-alright, let's, um- start going now."

He smiled sheepishly, his face red as you both started to trek back out into the rain. Your heart was once again racing in your chest, a small smile on your lips as the excitement of being with Kaidou seemed to keep you from thinking about anything else. It was quiet between the two of you- the only sound being the rain pouring around you and your steps splashing over the forming puddles. You didn't mind it though, since you needed a minute to calm yourself down from the cliche situation of sharing an umbrella with your new boyfriend- the word alone making your face heat up slightly.

It was a long walk to get back home, with Kaidou deciding to go to your house first and then walk home by himself. You almost didn't want it to end- spending this quiet time beside him in the rain was like a dream that was too good to be true. But sadly, you had reached your home after enough walking, the rain lightening up as you turned to face Kaidou and bid him goodbye.

"I, uh- really enjoyed this date with you, Kaidou. T-thanks for walking me home, too."

You smiled brightly, cheeks tinted a noticeable red.

"N-no problem!! I-I had a really good time, too. I- ah, I'll see you at school, i guess?"

He offered a nervous grin, his own face just as red as you imagined your own to be. His words seemed to stir butterflies in your stomach, despite the plainness of his statement.

"Yeah! M..Maybe we can.. walk to school together? I-if you want to..."

You suggested, glancing away and trying to calm your heart. It felt almost like an eternity for him to answer, your nerves making each millisecond seem like a whole minute.

"W-w-walk together? I mean, y-yeah!! Of course! I'd love to! I'll wait for you here, then!"

His face was flushed red but his excited grin proved that he indeed meant what he said. You couldn't help but grin back at him and nod your head, feeling ecstatic that he accepted your offer.

"Great!! I'll see you tomorrow, then, Kaidou!" 

You turned to head into your home but paused- a small idea popping up into your head. Turning back to face him, you took a quick breath before leaning in and wrapping your arms gently around Kaidou, pulling him in for a hug for just a moment before letting go and once again turning away. 

"Thank you..!"

You went to your front door, giving him a wave before quickly opening it and entering, leaving him flustered and red-faced out under his umbrella, grinning sheepishly as he gave a weak wave back.