Eight- Percy

I look up between my parents blurred faces, tears streaking down my tiny cheeks. I crane my little neck to see the woman coming towards me with open arms and a wide smile. I look alarmed between all the larger people above me, suddenly they all turn into black menacing figures, red eyes and wide evil smiles. The sky becomes stained with blood and the silhouetts of weapons are painted forever in my vision. I scream, starting to run from them until I fall on my face in the dirt beneath me. I look at my feet, seeing them chained together, along with my wrists. I scream again as the figures slam bars over me. 

I'm caged, hanging in the air from a crane, put on display. 

Tears shuffle my vision as I hold onto the bars, letting them frame my face as I shout for help. 

"Please! Let me go, please." 

No one answers.

Black figures drag two people onto the deck below me. A flash of light plays across their faces and I gasp. Instantly I can picture them singing me to sleep, playing with me on a swing set, or cleaning my cuts from learning to bike ride. Things all parents do. 

"NO!" I scream as they're shoved onto the steel ship deck. 

One of the black figures pulls out a gun, aiming at the back of my father's head. 

They don't protest, my parents that is. When the light teases over their faces again, I see no tears, they don't care if they die. 

They don't care if I die. 

I'm useless up here, caged like a wild animal. I scream again, hopeing someone will hear me, notice us, just glance over. But it's no use, I hear a shot, ringing through my ears, echoeing off the walls of my skull. I stare at the fallen body of my father, seeing his blood staining the deck. The man takes aim, and I hide my face as another shot underlines my mother's dealth. 

The figure pockets the gun, dragging my parents body over to the side of the boat, dropping them overboard. Leaving a trail of their mixed blood smeared across my eyes. 

And all I can do is hide in myself, scream without opening my mouth, and hope I die before they can do anything to me.

+++

"Percy, I have to go to the grocery store, wanna come?" 

"Can I drive?" I ask, waving my brand new license in the air. 

She smiles, nodding and leaving the doorway to go downstairs. I follow behind her like a puppy as she gathers Tomas and Renee, bringing us all downstairs. We all fit some shoes on, my sneakers and her high heels before leading us into the car. I get in behind the wheel, twisting the keys in the ignition and groaning when the beeping seatbelt alarm starts. I buckle myself in, starting out of the driveway towards the highway. 

Suddenly we're on the highway, a truck barreling towards us. Tomas, my adoptive mother and I are all clutching the wheel, trying to steer it different directions to get out of their way. But it's no use as the truck collides full force with our bumper, smacking into us with a metal tearing crunch. 

The airbag blows in my face but I barely feel it as I'm starring in horror at my adoptive mother's bleeding wounds. She has a gash along her head and her neck is cracked in an unnatural way. I look behind me into the backseat, seeing Renee slouched against my chair, her seat belt broken, her head is also bleeding. I gasp, my hand searching for the doorhandle, but I only grasp air. I turn around, noticing the door was ripped off at the hinges and is now lying in the ditch. I shove my body out of the open space, rolling hard onto the highway. I jump up, rushing over to the semi truck's driver side, seeing no one.