Lin

The girls were handling their new living situation remarkably well.  Though I'd never been a parent, I considered myself a sensitive man.  I was aware of their struggles and their moods and tried my best to guide them.  So far it had been a parade of new experiences for them, especially Luna.  I took them to the library, the zoo, the park, the children's museum.  They seemed dazzled.  Both were sweet and pretty well-behaved.

I was getting concerned about Isabel and her insistence that she take care of Luna.  I didn't know all the details of the last five years, but their dad had been in mourning of his wife's death and heavy into drugs and alcohol.  Isabel had basically become a mini mom.  I was more than willing to do the heavy lifting with the parenting, but Isabel kept insisting she do most things for Luna.  When she misbehaved, Isabel admonished her and had even put her in time out.

After the girls had gone to bed the next night, I called up Pippa.  I needed some advice.  She was sympathetic to my situation and knew I'd been thrown into parenting with little warning.

"Maybe you should sign Isabel up for some activities," she suggested.  "Get her focus elsewhere."

"Yeah, that might help," I said, rubbing at my temple.  "All she seems to want to do is read though."

"She probably hasn't had as many opportunities as other kids," she pointed out.  "You said they were basically in poverty?"

"Yeah, true," I acknowledged.  "Maybe I'll take her to watch a few different classes and see if she's interested."

"What about school?"

"I talked to Isabel about it," I said.  "I called some of the principals today and set up meetings and tours.  She wants to go to the same school as Luna but I'm not sure if that's a good idea."

"Why not?"

"She'll be constantly worried about her sister," I explained.  "I want her to be able to go to school and just concentrate on learning."

"True, but with everything they've been through it might be good to have a familiar face at school," she pointed out.

"Good point," I said.  Pippa was pretty wise, which is why I had called her.  She seemed like such a motherly type.  "Do you wanna do lunch with us tomorrow?"

"I'd love to," she said.  We finished up our conversation and I decided to hit the sack.  I had a new habit of checking in on the girls every night.  I opened the door and saw the covers on the top bunk tented, with light coming from within.

"Isabel?" I called quietly.  She poked her head out.  "Don't stay up too much longer."

"I won't," she said softly.  "Night."

"Night," I grinned, and went off to my own room.

____

The next day, we had four school tours set up.  I wasn't sure how Luna would do, so I promised her a trip to the candy store if she was good.  We got through two tours in the morning.  Both schools seemed nice, but not quite the right fit.  At around noon it was time for our lunch date with Pippa.

Pippa was a hit because she brought them both some gifts.  In Luna's bag were some hair bows and two Barbie dolls.  She immediately requested they be taken out of the box.  I told her she could get one out now and one out at home.  She took a moment to decide and I opened it.  She'd gotten Isabel some more books and some t-shirts.  They both politely thanked her without even being prompted.

"What did you think of the two schools from this morning?" she asked Isabel.

"They were both fine," she said.  "There were tons of kids."