Pippa

After Lin returned from Puerto Rico, he was different for a few days.  I could tell he missed the girls terribly.  I caught him staring off into nothing and he was incredibly morose.  I was patient with him; laying with him, rubbing his chest and back.  Ellie helped take his mind off things, but he called the girls every day.  Now that Isabel had her own phone that made things easier.

So far, things seemed to be going okay.  Miguel was on his best behavior.  Isabel reported that he made them lunch for school every day and cooked dinner most nights.  He tucked them in at night and was staying sober.

Predictably, things started to crumble in the coming weeks and so did Lin.  Isabel began to report that she'd made Luna dinner and would go to bed alone.  Lin tried calling Miguel up but he wouldn't answer, perhaps out of shame.  It had been only three weeks and he was already dropping the ball.

Lin had things delivered to the house.  Mostly food.  He didn't want the girls to suffer or go without because Miguel didn't have it together.  I noticed Lin sleeping less, and the bags under his eyes got worse.  I knew nothing I could say would make it better.  He was constantly worried about his nieces.

After a week of no contact from Miguel, he ended up flying down the Puerto Rico.  He called me that night.  The house had been a mess and it was obvious he was now drinking more heavily.  He'd arrived to find the girls alone.

At least Ellie was doing well.  She'd gone for a checkup and had gained three pounds.  She was still small for her age, but she was gaining weight well.  Our baby girl was now happy and healthy and I was relieved.

Lin returned a few days later, dejected.  He said Isabel was close to failing math again and Luna wasn't getting any speech therapy.  I could tell it had killed him to have to leave them there.  Once again he'd made sure the fridge and pantry were well-stocked before he left.

He laid in bed, staring at the ceiling one night, as I read a book.  "What if..." he began.  "What if I reported him for child neglect?  Would they let me take the girls?"

I marked my place and set my book aside.  "I don't know," I told him.  "Is their foster care system up and running now?"

"I don't know," he said, scrubbing a hand over his face.  "But they always try to place kids with family."

"In the same general vicinity," I added.

"But it's not unheard of for kids to be sent to live with relatives far away," he pointed out.

"No," I said, laying down with my head propped up in my hand.  I gently ran my hand over his chest.  "But how long will it last?  He would get them back and the girls would be uprooted again.  It's not good for them to go back and forth."

He was quiet for several long moments.  "What if I sue for custody?"

I raised my eyebrows at him.  "You sure you want to go down that route?"

He looked over at me.  "If it means the girls will be safe, yes.  I don't see how he can be so selfish, over and over again.  He had another chance and he blew it.  Big time."

I laid down, pulling my covers up.  I loved the girls, but if they could be with their father it was best.  I wished he was better, but he had his own problems.

"Do what you want," I told him.  "But I just don't want this causing a huge rift in your family.  Taking someone's kids away by force is a big deal."

"I know," he admitted, sighing heavily.  I curled up next to him, draping my arm around him.  I fell asleep as he laid awake, thinking.

In the morning, I woke up to him already on the phone, speaking in Spanish.  I knew next to no Spanish but was pretty sure it was about his nieces.  He thanked the person on the other end and hung up as I walked in with Ellie.