Chapter Five

Aspenpaw sat outside the bramble screen of the medicine cat den, waiting for Duskheart to come out. Cats gathered around Thornear, their deputy, in the middle of the clearing. His hazel eyes looked over the cats.
"Hollyflower, Jaywatcher, Kinkclaw, Juniperpaw, and Tawnyleaf will attend the Gathering," he announced. "Along with Doestar, the medicine cats, me, and the elders, of course."
Duskheart appeared through the bramble screen.
Thornear opened his jaws to speak again. "Blackheart?" The black and white warrior stepped forward. "You can be in control while we're gone." Blackheart nodded at his brother.
Doestar leaped from Highledge. She flicked her tail. "Let's go."
~•~•~•~•~•~•~
       "Hey, Aspenpaw," Juniperpaw caught up to her as ThunderClan padded toward the island. "Race you to the tree-bridge!" Her brother bolted.
      Aspenpaw couldn't help but let her paws thunder after him. Juniperpaw's long legs thrusted out, but Aspenpaw's strides came quicker, and she sped past him. They skidded to a stop in the mud.
       "You're quick!" Juniperpaw panted.
       Aspenpaw could only nod, breathless. They waited for their Clanmates before leaping onto the tree-bridge. Aspenpaw followed her brother, jumping to land awkwardly after him.
In the clearing, cats of all four Clans milled around, gossiping and sharing tongues. A soft tail was laid lightly over Aspenpaw's shoulders. She turned to face Duskheart. "Come and greet the other medicine cats."
She followed her mentor, keeping her head low. Shyness crept at her feelings. I hate meeting new cats. What's the point? No one pays attention to me anyways, whether we've been introduced or not.
A white she-cat talked with a gray tom. A ginger she-cat sat with a slightly smaller white tom. Duskheart waved her tail. "Greetings," she dipped her head. "This is my new apprentice, Aspenpaw."
The gray tom murmured greetings. "I'm Skybreeze, RiverClan's medicine cat."
The ginger she-cat stood. "My name is Firepool. I'm from WindClan," she lay her tail on the white tom's back. "This is Minnowpaw." He nodded.
The white she-cat bounced up, amber eyes flaring with excitement. "I'm Redsplash! I belong to ShadowClan!"
Aspenpaw dipped her head away awkwardly. A yowl came from the oak tree. Aspenpaw settled herself a distance away from the other medicine cats.
A gray she-cat with dark flecks stood, RiverClan's leader. "Prey is running well," Waterstar reported. "And Redshade was made a warrior."
       "Redshade! Redshade!" The Clans welcomed the young tom with encouraging chants. He puffed out his black fur in pride, amber eyes gleaming. Waterstar sat down.
      Doestar stood in her turn. "We have a new medicine cat apprentice," she gazed out over the gathered cats. "Aspenpaw, may StarClan travel with you."
     Murmurs of agreement came before chanting rose out. "Aspenpaw! Aspenpaw!" She ducked her head, ears hot.
       Harestar rose, his skinny WindClan frame outlined in moonlight. "Our Clan has also welcomed warriors. Jaggedswirl and Snowleap!"
       Aspenpaw turned to look at the new warriors. A black and white tom stood with a pure white she-cat. The Tom's copper eyes reflected moonlight. If there was any chanting, Aspenpaw didn't hear it. She was too focused on the handsome WindClan tom.
        A hard wind blew. Shadows covered the blue-silver moon.