Part 3

"Robert! My goodness, how splendid it is that you could make it down this fine day! Do come, you're just in time for dinner."

Robert was a bit surprised to see such vigor in his old friend's disposition. He seemed to find elation in Robert's being there, and wasted no time in pursuing the subject of his summons over dinner. The dining room was, to be modest, expansive. The lightly stained wood paneling, in addition to the warm fire alight in the hearth, proved a delightful contrast to the winter's permeating cold. Robert's mind was far from the disturbing origin of his visit. The comfortable atmosphere of the home worked in conjunction with his full stomach to slowly lull Robert into a state of euphoria.

The guest's delighted mentality almost proved to be too much for him to take note of his host's strained smile. After several drinks, Philip's hearty facade deteriorated into one of uneasy laughter, and quaint, seemingly nervous, gestures.

Seeing that his guest had no intentions of reveling in the horrific mysteries he desired to speak of, Philip let the fire die out and showed Robert to his room.

Robert Lash slept well into the night until he was awakened to a queer noise. He guessed the day to be in the first few hours of morning still. As the sound continued, Robert noted that it was similar to nothing he had heard before. In effort to pursue the noise, he shuffled awkwardly into the dining room. Now with all light absent, and company well retired, the room possessed none of the homely attributes that it did several hours before. Here, winter's touch was no longer denied and the room fell prey to its icy will.

Hastening his pace, Robert passed through the room, and onto Philip's chamber, where he expected to find him in a similar state of confusion in regard to the strange sound, now growing louder. Whilst walking through the home, Robert noticed that the estate, in accordance to the dining room, was unexpectedly sizable. At this point, to say Robert's sense of curiosity considerably surpassed his sense of fearlessness would be a lie. The eerie nature of his visit was now all too prevalent in Robert's mind. What was before a gentle hum, had now progressed into a deep thrumming sound as he neared the room where he expected to find Philip. Throwing open the door to the chamber in his nervous state, he found the room to be entirely empty. The bed lay undisturbed, along with all of the room's other furnishings. This final and unexpected occurrence propelled Robert into a state of despair, and he scurried back to his room in retreat.