Part 5

The beautiful double doors swung inward to reveal an ornately furnished and neatly arranged room. As Robert furtively made his way through the threshold, a cool gust of air buffeted his face, casting a wave of uneasiness over him.

The room was not even the slightest out of order. An array of scientific equipment painted the walls, each piece neatly arranged on its shelf or rack. The walls were a deep scarlet, and the furnishings a dark mahogany. Robert had never known his host to be involved in any scientific dealings. Thus, he was puzzled greatly to find such sophisticated equipment in his home. Even more puzzling than that was that he had found it within the only room he was meant to keep away from.

Robert scanned the room in search for whatever it was, the forbidden fruit as it were, that he wasn't supposed to find. Everything was painfully terrestrial, and nothing seemed even potentially disturbing. As hard as he tried, nothing here satisfied his hunger for fright, or even discovery. Robert progressed to the far side of the room, and turned the door knob to the closet. Surprisingly, the door was locked tightly, and a cold draft flowed forth from beneath it. He franticly scoured the room for its key.

Upon several minutes of searching, the quest was given up, and Robert conclusively drew the doors shut behind him as he exited the room. The moment the man made his way back through the threshold, he was eaten up with an intense desire to discover whatever was behind the closet door.

At this point, Philip noisily lumbered in through the front door. With a hurried pace and veins bursting with adrenaline, Robert rushed into the living room to greet his friend in an effort to conceal his latest misadventure.