Part 6

"I am awfully sorry I took so long in getting home. The shop was in a state of utter confusion, and it took much more effort than I had suspected. In time, I hope to find a much more capable person to run the place while I'm gone."

Philip owned a book store with a vast selection of titles. It was the pride and joy of his life and until the recovery of the letter in his new home, his book store was his sole concern.

Robert asked his host to pursue the subject he had begun speaking of the night before. With intense pleasure evident on his face, Philip begun to tell of the queer noises he often heard in the night, and other strange dealings. As the hours passed, the two men sat entirely consumed by the allure of the unknown.

Night soon began to fall upon the two, and it was resolved that as soon as darkness had engulfed the strange estate, they would both set about discovering as much as they could in regard to its strange happenings.

Philip abruptly stood up, and as he exited the room, he unknowingly permitted his company a glimpse at the key he had begun to draw from his inner coat pocket. A fiendish grin engulfed Robert's face at this victory, and it is here that the minds of these two men separated in objective.

Philip, the exceedingly cautious of the two, was wary of allowing himself to become completely immersed within this strange matter. Robert, in contrast, had become almost entirely desensitized through his writings for his uncle's paper. The man failed to realize that he had surpassed the limitations of the imagination, and was now in the presence of a more viable force.