three

sunday, january 25th, 1985
5:49 pm

primrose chucked on a pair of her mary jane doc martens, a red plaid skirt, black stockings with a cherry design on them, her black ac/dc band shirt and her locket. she looked at herself in the bathroom mirror and smiled, she wanted to look decent for her first night in hawkins.

she had already been introduced to her step mother, who seemed to be quite nice, and she had been told that she was sharing a room with max, which she was quite glad about. she had become very fond of max since they shared a lot of the same interests including skateboarding, being sarcastic & annoying most of the time and having completely messed up lives.

her father was as charming as usual, he said hello and rushed away, desperate to end the conversation. billy hadn't left his room, he was either checking himself out in the mirror or he snuck out to go to a party- prim had a hard time guessing which option it was.

all of a sudden, three consecutive knocks could be heard at the bathroom door.

"prim- are you ready?" max asked.

"yep- i'm coming!" primrose said as she walked out the bathroom door.

"we'll have to ride there on our boards, it's around this time that billy finishes up at work and i can't be bothered to wait," max chuckled as the girls made their way outside to their boards.

+

the bright lights emitting from the arcade nearly blinded max and prim as they set down their skateboards in the designated rack. max grabbed prim's wrist as she excitedly pulled her inside.

children flooded the area as max continued to grip tightly onto prim's wrist, leading her to a group of kids their age, one being the boy they had an encounter with earlier in the day.

"hey guys- this is prim, my step sister," max smiled at the group.

"hey prim, i'm mike," one of the boys awkwardly held out his hand for a handshake as prim lightly chuckled and shook his hand.

he had messy black hair that draped across his forehead, light freckles smothering his cheeks and dark brown eyes that glistened under the lights. she had to admit, he was super cute.

"i'm will" another smiled.

"well, nice to meet you mike and will, and hey again lucas! anyway- i'm primrose and i just moved here from oregon, oh yeah and i'm nothing like my brother if you've had any experiences with him," prim sighed.

"trust me- we've had a few experiences with billy," lucas raised his eyebrow at max as she laughed.

the group continued to chat, their conversations ranging from the latest episode of family ties to how great it is that they are all on summer break.

out of the blue, mike's voice spoke, "i need to go, i promised el that i'd go see her tonight,"

"but- we only just started hanging out" will sighed.

"will- i promised, you can't just break promises," mike said.

"fine- have fun with el then," max spoke in a sarcastic tone.

the group had gone through a bit of a rough patch, with el returning, mike had been spending an awful amount of time with her. with their 'hang-out' sessions consisting of making out, making out and ever more making out.

mike waved goodbye to the group, with a sympathetic look plastered on his face, as he quickly walked over to his bike and began to pedal away.

the remaining kids stood around, awaiting another conversation. prim tapped her foot on the floor, awkwardly swaying her body side to side.

"well, i should probably get going too, mom is expecting me," will said as he walked off.

"you know, i'm gonna go home now too," lucas said as he kissed max on the cheek and jogged over to his bike.

max slowly turned to look at prim.

"friends- you've gotta love 'em," max sighed as primrose turned her head slightly.

"who's el?" prim asked.

"mike's girlfriend, she moved away for a while- she's back now, but she can't come hang with us much because she's, uh- sick," max lied.

primrose didn't believe that for one second, but she went along with it. it was obviously a topic that max would have rathered not to talk about.

"oh- right," primrose replied.

"we should get home too, curfew is soon anyway," max commented.

prim directed her eyes to the clock, 6:43pm. if the pair got home any later than 7:00pm, who knew what their punishment from neil would be.

"race you home!" prim yelled with a giggle as the two girls sprinted to their boards.

author's note
FUN FACT!1!1! i changed primrose's name five times, and every single time i had to go through five chapters and change the name which was SO fun