seven

tuesday, january 27th, 1985
11:02 am
primrose woke up to the familiar noises of a skateboard rolling across the rough bitumen on the road outside, max. she checked the clock on the wall, it read 11:02 am, in other words, much too early. just as she began to shut her eyes to drift back to sleep, she heard a yell.

"prim- you're awake! come out and skate with me!"

it was max. primrose chucked a thumbs up in the air with a grin, although she would have preferred to sleep, she still loved having a sister with the same interests as her.

she threw on her denim mom jeans with a red belt and a matching red cropped tank top, it was quite hot outside so she decided to dress for the weather. she also decided to slip into a pair of her beloved nike cortez, which were one of her most prized possessions. before she forgot, she dabbed a bit of concealer over her bruise, which was healing slowly but surely.

after she had finally gotten ready, she grabbed her board and ran outside, ready to skate with her step-sister. as she busted through the front door, she jumped onto her board and rolled down the path to their home, ollie-ing over the steps.

"impressive!" max congratulated.

"thanks, you should have seen the skate park back in the part of cali where i lived! it was insane!" prim exclaimed.

"where we lived in california had sick skateboard bowls, my dad used to take me to them all the time!" max replied.

"we should sneak back to cali sometime, i miss it there," prim sighed as max agreed.

"definitely," max grinned, "now, let me show you something i've been working on but i just can't get right no matter how hard i try,"

prim stepped back and sat on the curb in anticipation as max prepared to do her trick.

max's first attempt at the trick didn't go so well. nor did the second, or third. but on the fourth, when her board slipped out from underneath, a girl about their age flipped it up and held it in her hand.

the girl had short wavy brown hair that cascaded down to around her chin. and she looked mad.

she approached the two as prim hesitantly rose from her spot and stood next to max.

"hi." she said as she handed the board back to max.

although she looked mad, she still spoke very peacefully to the red-haired girl.

"hi?" max replied.

their encounter seemed very strange, not like one between two friends, more like acquaintances. prim was eager to discover their connection and why this unknown girl had shown up here in the first place.

"can we talk?" the girl asked as max, still confused as ever, obliged and led the girl to her and prim's room. prim trailed behind, not wanting to be left on the street alone.

+

"and then he- he said he missed me, and then he just hung up." the girl finished explaining.

primrose was sat, quietly eavesdropping on their conversation from her bed, where she was reading the newest issue of the thrasher magazine. from what she had gathered, this girl was el, the one who moved away and couldn't hang out with her friends because she was 'sick', and the one who was dating mike, the guy whom prim was mildly attracted to.

"he's a piece of shit!" max replied as el confusedly looked at her.

"mike doesn't have jackshit to do today, and his nana obviously isn't sick! i guarantee you, him and lucas are playing atari right now!" max replied in frustration.

"but friends don't lie!" el said, desperately not wanting to believe that mike was lying.

"yeah, well, boyfriends lie. all the time." max emphasised, "don't you agree prim?"

"huh?" prim asked, pretending like she wasn't just listening to their conversation.

"boyfriends lie, don't they?" she repeated as prim nodded.

"they sure do. they're liars, cheaters and complete fuckwads," she sighed.

she had only ever had one boyfriend, about a year ago, back in cali. they didn't end up working out after he cheated on her with her best friend. after that, she decided she was done with boys for a while. that was about four months ago.

"see? prim gets it! ok- so i have a plan, you're going to stop calling him. you're going to ignore his calls. as far as you're concerned, he doesn't exist." max told el as she listened intently.

"doesn't exist?" she questioned.

"he treated you like garbage! you're gonna treat him like garbage. give him a taste of his own medicine." she went on.

"give him the medicine," el restated as max nodded.

"mm-hmm. and if he doesn't fix this, if he doesn't explain himself, dump his ass." she finished.

honestly, primrose agreed, mike didn't deserve el if he was just going to treat her like a piece of trash, she was worth so much more than that.

"we should go to starcourt, that cheered me up yesterday when i was feeling a little bit down," prim piped up as max agreed.

"come on." max said as she pulled el off the bed.

"where are we going?" el asked anxiously.

"to have some fun, there's more to life than stupid boys you know!" max grinned as the three girls ran out of the house in excitement as giggles erupted out of their mouths.

+

the three girls ran from their spot at the very back of the bus, through the isle to the exit and grinned in excitement as the mall came into view.

"so, what do you think?" max asked el, who seemed to had never come to the mall before now.

"hey what's wrong?" max asked as el remained quiet and looked around, nerves racking her brain.

"too many with people. against the rules," she said as max leant over and whispered something inaudible to prim into el's ear.

the only part she could make out was;

"what's the worst that could happen?"

el nodded in excitement as the three of them ran inside the mall and admired the amazing interior.

"so, what should we do first?!"

author's note
hi hi hi! sorry for not updating for a while guys,, i've had school (homework 😡) and i haven't had time to write but i'm here now so yay! sorry that this is a kinda boring chapter, it's mainly just a filler but i lowkey like it.

also, thanks for all the positive comments about this book! i really appreciate it and it makes me go 🥰

luv u guyz,,

— bonnie xoxoxoxoxo