Checkmate

"So, where am I taking you two?" Ray asked Gerard and Frank as soon as they took off driving down the road. The two boys kept quiet for a moment, trying to think of an answer that didn't sound extremely suspicious.

Eventually, Frank spoke up from the passenger seat, "If you could just drop us off at a nearby hotel or gas station, that'd be great. We still have some ways to go to get home, so we can get ourselves there".

Ray considered it for moment, "Well, I know the area pretty well, and there isn't a gas station around for at least a couple of more miles, and I'm certainly not going to make you pay for a hotel when my house is free and only a few minutes away."

"What are you saying?" Frank asked, meeting eyes with Gerard, who was just as equally confused from the backseat of the car.

"You guys can crash at my place if you'd like," Ray offered. "It's getting late anyway, and I've got a spare bedroom at my house. I also think I have some spare gas stored somewhere in my garage, and I'd happily give it to you".

"Are you sure?" Gerard asked, leaning forward between the two of them. "It's not like you owe us anything".

"Of course, I insist. I love to lend a hand every now and then," he replied. "And you guys seem like a sweet couple," he added with a wink. Gerard giggled at that and reached over to kiss Frank on the cheek, but even after he did, Frank still looked a bit tense.

After Ray pulled up his driveway, Frank and Gerard were relieved to discover it was a somewhat isolated house, surrounded by a thick forest of trees. The neighbors' houses weren't very close either, which eliminated the possibility of someone recognizing them from the news.

Once they had settled down inside, Ray insisted that the two boys listen in on a mini guitar performance of his. Gerard's eyes lit up at the mentioning of live music being played, but Frank just rolled his eyes.

"I can play the guitar too," he mumbled, crossing his arms and pouting about how he hadn't thought to bring his guitar with him before he had kidnapped Gerard. Gerard didn't seem to hear though, as he eagerly took a seat on the couch as Ray set up his amp.

When he was seemingly finished, he looked up with a hopeful smile and Gerard asked, "Are you ready Ray?"

"Yeah," he replied, giving a thumbs-up and adjusting his guitar. And with that, Ray began to play a fast-paced song with lots of energy. It was exciting and drew Gerard right in. Even Frank found himself pretty interested. Ray was very talented, and he looked overjoyed to actually be playing for an audience, which made sense after they learned he lived on his own.

After a couple of more brief songs, Gerard complemented Ray about a thousand times, only annoying Frank even more. Afterwards, they all ate dinner that they were very grateful Ray made for them and talked a bit more. Most of Gerard and Frank's answers to Ray's questions were very bland though. They had to be careful not to give too much away and keep track of any lies they told.

Eventually though, the sun began to set, and they called it a night. Ray set up the guest bedroom for Gerard and Frank and left them alone. The two of them had left their belongings in the car and were far too tired to go get anything, so they just settled in sleeping in their clothes.

As usual, Frank watched Gerard peacefully drift off to sleep alongside him. Although, even after he decided to close his own eyes, he found himself to be far too anxious to fall asleep. Maybe it was due to being at an untrusted stranger's house, or that fact that the police were currently looking for them, but either way, sleep didn't seem very appealing to him that night.

Some time shortly after that, Frank heard movement outside of the bedroom. After a minute or so, he could've sworn he heard Ray talking. Ray had confirmed that he lived all alone, so surely it was just a phone call or something. Although, after glancing over at a convenient wall clock, Frank found it surprising he'd be calling someone at eleven at night.