Chap 4 "The Op"

Steve's POV
"That's good," I nodded. "That's really good."
"Hey, are you okay?" Emily asked. "There isn't another nuke on the island, is there?"
"No, no," I replied. "I'm done for the day."
"Well, do you want anything to eat? Are you hungry?" Emily asked. "I'm trying to be a good girlfriend to you here."
"Yeah, a sandwich would be nice," I smiled. "Why don't you pack it in a basket? We'll go for a swim on the beach."
"Yeah," Emily nodded. "Let me get Kaarina changed."
"Alright," I replied. Emily grabbed Kaarina and went upstairs. They came back down, and I just looked at Emily. "Wow."

"Thanks," Emily smiled

"Thanks," Emily smiled. "I'm going to leave Kaarina in the living room while I go make some food."
"Okay," I nodded. I went up to the bedroom and changed into my swim trucks. I walked back downstairs and Kaarina was still playing with her toys. "How much are you packing?"

"Well, I got a couple snacks for Kaarina and I since we just ate," Emily stated from the kitchen

"Well, I got a couple snacks for Kaarina and I since we just ate," Emily stated from the kitchen. "I'm making you about three sandwiches."
"Okay. That should be good," I smiled. The doorbell rang. "I got it." I opened the door and there was Catherine Rollins. "Cath, what are you doing here?"
"Surprise, sailor," Catherine smiled. "I was going to call but I just grabbed my car and came straight here."
"Dada!" Kaarina ran up to me.
"Hey," I sighed as I picked her up. "Cath, this is Kaarina. Kaarina, this is Catherine."

"Oh, uhm, is she yours?" Catherine asked

"No," I nodded. "She belongs to Emily, who's making sandwiches in the kitchen."
"Danny told me you were seeing someone else," Catherine sighed. "I guess I should've listened."
"Do you have any time at all?" I asked. "We're just going for a swim in the backyard if you wanna join us."
"Are you sure your girlfriend won't mind?" Catherine asked.
"Not at all," I nodded. "Come on." We walked into the kitchen. "Look who is here, Em."
"Catherine," Emily smiled. She hugged her. "Sorry, I'm a hugger."
"No, you're fine," Catherine smiled.
"Steve has told me a lot about you," Emily finished the sandwiches. "Can I interest you in a sandwich or something to drink?"
"A water would be fine," Catherine nodded.
"Sure," Emily smiled as she handed Catherine a water. "So, Steve was telling me about your cause in Afghanistan with the kids. How did that go?"
"Well, the kids are safe," Catherine replied. "That's all that should matter, right?"
"Yeah, the kids are safe. That's a big accomplishment thought," Emily smiled. "You kept them safe even though you aren't part of the Navy anymore."
"Turning into a civilian was the hardest thing I had to do, but it was worth it all," Catherine smiled.
"Mama!" Kaarina held out her hands toward Emily.
"Alright," Emily sighed as she grabbed Kaarina from me. "Let's take the conversation out there."
"Alright," I smiled. I grabbed the sandwiches and snacks and put them on the back table. "Are you going to hit the water?"
"Shallow end with Kaarina," Emily nodded.
"Okay," I replied.
"Oh, I'm going to grab towels," Emily smiled.
"We're not going anywhere," I smiled. She went inside. "So, how was Afghan?"
"Hard," Catherine nodded. "Letting you go was the hardest thing I had to do." I looked at her and nodded. "But I'm glad you were able to find someone else on the island."
"Here," Emily put the towels on the chairs.
"Emily, how'd you have Kaarina?" Catherine asked.
"I was raped," Emily replied.
"You're joking," Catherine smiled as she looked at Emily. "You're not joking?"
"No, I'm not," Emily sighed. "Two and a half years ago, I was part of the Bureau's Behavior Analysis Unit."
"Really?" Catherine asked.
"Yeah. We got put on this case for this unsub and I got asked to go undercover because I matched the descriptions of the victims the guy was taking. He took the bait," Emily replied. "He beat and raped me multiple times. Even tortured me. His name was Kevin Moline. When he found out I was an agent, he left me for dead. I was close to dying until I was rescued by my team. I found out I was pregnant." Emily sat down holding Kaarina. "Kevin somehow found the information and laid low till Kaarina was born. He didn't kill anyone for two years. My team and I got a hit on one of his aliases when he boarded a plane and came to Hawaii. By the time Five-O got three bodies, they called us, and they sent me here to get this guy." I crossed my arms. "We were close to catching him until we lost him at the pier. I was furious. He called me and tried to use Kaarina as leverage. I made sure Kaarina was protected by bringing another agent with me to watch her."
"When we went to see Kaarina at a park, Kevin took a shot at Em but she was wearing a Kevlar vest. Kevin didn't know and he thought she was bleeding out," I added. "He wanted eleven thousand dollars in trade for Kaarina and asked me to make the drop. I did, but with fake cash and a dye pack." Kaarina wanted me to hold her and I did. "We didn't kill him. Emily wanted him alive. He's now at Halawa Prison, serving out a life sentence."
"I don't want Kaarina knowing her dad was a serial killer," Emily replied. "After all that stuff that happened, Kaarina was the only good thing that came out of this."
"Why don't you go hit the water with Kaarina?" I asked. "I'll join you guys in a bit."
"Alright, come on," Emily smiled as she grabbed Kaarina.
"Go on," I smiled as Emily and Kaarina went close to the water. "I honestly didn't think you were coming back."
"You got a good family here, Steve," Catherine smiled. "She seems happy."
"Yeah, but she's not you," I stated.
"That would be a bit scary if she was," Catherine looked at me. "I have Navy training. She's a fed."
"She's actually part of Five-O now," I nodded.
"She really like your thing?" Catherin asked.
"Yeah, and she's good at it," I crossed my arms. "Having her on the team, she's a great asset. The FBI lost a good player on their team."
"Why'd she quit?" Catherine asked.
"She didn't quit," I sighed. "They let her go because they said her actions were against protocol. Which isn't a problem for me because –"
"You guys do that all the time," Catherine nodded. "Yeah I know. Look, Steve, I came to say goodbye."
"Why?" I asked.
"Afghan was one thing, but I got done with that," Catherine sighed. "Look, I want to feel needed."
"You are," I looked at her.
"Not like that, Steve. When someone calls you, they need you. That's what I want," Catherine looked at me. "Like that little girl out there. She calls you her father because she loves you and needs you to have time with her."
"Then come back to Five-O," I gestured.
"No, Steve. That's your thing," Catherine nodded. "I'm going to Nepal. That earthquake hit them very heard. I'm going to be running helo drops for the Red Cross."
"Okay, that's a two-month op, tops," I replied. "Come back after that."
"Steve, you have a family. I'm not going to be the one who breaks this up," Catherine replied. "This is your happiness. I want to do this. I must go. I love you, okay?"
"Yeah," I sighed.
"Dada!" Kaarina ran up to us. She was soaking wet. "Dada, mama."
"Let's go," I smiled. I jogged to the water holding Kaarina. "Daddy's here."
"Yay!" Emily smiled as she held Kaarina. "I love you, Kaarina." I looked at Catherine. She let a couple tears go. She then dropped her head as she turned around. "You want Daddy?"
"Aloha," I whispered.
"Steve," Emily smiled. "Kaarina wants her dad."
"Yay!" I exclaimed as I grabbed Kaarina. I held her in the water. She was just kicking her legs. "I think she's going to be a surfer one day."
"If her dad teaches her," Emily smiled.
"Come here," I nodded. I held Kaarina with one arm. I put my other around Emily and hugged her. I gave her a kiss. "Please tell me that you're going to be there for me when I need you."
"As long as you do the same for me," Emily smiled.
"I promise," I smiled. I gave her another kiss. "You don't know how much this image means to me."
"I love you, Steve McGarrett," Emily stated as she hugged me.
"I love you," I smiled. Another month and a half went by. Kaarina is now three. I went to work and looked at the photo Emily, Kaarina, and I had taken at Kono's wedding. Chin walked in. "Hey."
"Hey, I got your text about the ring," Chin smiled. I showed it to him. "Yeah, Emily's going to say yes in a heartbeat."
"She better," I nodded. "It was $555. I thought about a $11,000 ring but I figured this was better." I looked at Chin. "She's not about material things so I got the one I thought looked better than a simple diamond."
"An eleven-thousand-dollar ring is going to cost you an arm and a leg," Chin replied. "It could cost me an arm and a leg."
"There was a lot of diamonds on it," I sighed. "But this one is simple and perfect for her." I put the ring in my pocket as my phone rang. It was Emily. "Emily, how's everything going?"
"Uhm, your sister is here," Emily stated.
"Mary?" I asked.
"Yeah," Emily replied.
"Why is she there?" I asked.
"I don't know, you tell me," Emily responded. "I came home after I dropped Kaarina off at daycare and she was sitting on the front porch."
"Let her in the house and keep an eye on her," I replied.
"I can't keep an eye on her," Emily stated. "I have some errands to run. Someone's gotta pay the bills."
"Pay them online," I shrugged.
"I am not paying them online," Emily added. "They charge an extra fifteen-dollar fee to pay it online. That's fifteen dollars we can put towards Kaarina's college fund."
"She has a college fund?" I asked.
"Yeah" Emily sighed. "I struggled with it, I'm not going to let her."
"Let Mary into the house and do what you gotta do," I sighed and hung up. "So, Mary's here."
"Your sister sure do like surprise visits," Chin responded.
"Yeah, tell me about it," I nodded. We got a call and we went to the crime scene. "What happened?"
"At first glance, you'd think she was a jumper," Kono sighed.
"Why do I know there's more to the story than that?" Danny asked.
"Because there are signs of a struggle on the roof," Kono pointed. "She lost a shoe, a plant is broken, and the ropes and burns on her hand indicates that she was bound to the metal chair before she was pushed."
"Is CSU processing?" I asked.
"Yeah, they should be done soon," Kono nodded.
"Alright," I nodded. My phone rang as Max walked up to the body. I looked at my phone. "Catch me up on the vic. I gotta take this." I picked up. "Hey Em."
"Steve!" Emily exclaimed as gunshots were heard. "I need some help."
"Where are you?" I asked.
"Nail salon," Emily replied.
"I'm on my way," I nodded and hung up. "Danny, let's go." We got into his Camaro and I just hit the gas. "Come on."
"Where are we going?" Danny asked.
"Emily's nail salon," I replied as I turned on the sirens and lights.
"I would love to get manis and pedis with you guys, but seriously?" Danny asked. "In the middle of a case?"
"Emily's in the middle of a shootout," I pointed.
"Well, that would be a problem," Danny nodded. We pulled up to the nail salon and two guys were dead on the street. "Did Emily do that?"
"Sharp shooter," I nodded. We walked to the nail salon and the gate was down. "Emily!" I banged on the gate. "Hey Em! It's me, Steve. I'm with Danny."
"Steve," Emily stated. She opened the gate and she hugged me tight. "Thank you for coming."
"Did you do that?" Danny pointed at the guys.
"There were five of them," Emily nodded. Danny went to go check on the guys. "They left when I got two shooters down."
"Why didn't you shoot the other three?" I asked. Emily got out her gun and showed me her clip. "Oh."
"Yeah, I'm empty," Emily sighed.
"At least you got two" I nodded.
"Hey, this one's still breathing," Danny kicked him, and he groaned. "Yeah, he's still alive."
"Book him, Danno," I smiled as I looked at Emily.
"Yeah, okay," Danny sighed.
"So, there isn't really a good time for us to do this," I responded as I got the box out of my pocket. I showed Emily the ring. "I know we've only known each other for a few months, but I really gotten to know you and love both you and Kaarina as my own." She looked at me. "Emily Votaw, will you join me, by my side, and be my reason to come home?"

 "Emily Votaw, will you join me, by my side, and be my reason to come home?"

"I think you got your words a bit mixed up there," Emily smiled. "But yes, I'll marry you and be your companion in life." I put the ring on her finger. "It fits perfectly."
"You're an animal," Danny looked at us with his hands on his hip. "You didn't even get down on one knee or get her flowers."
"Danny, she said yes," I stated. "That's all that matters."
"Yeah, okay," Danny nodded.
"Danny, Steve's right," Emily looked at me. "Besides, I can't say no."
"You can't or you won't?" Danny asked.
"Both," Emily nodded. "I am one for simplicity. I don't need diamond jewelry."
"Then I'll just take the five-hundred-dollar ring back," I hand out my hand.
"No, Steve," Emily smiled and nudged me. "It's a symbol of our engagement so I'll keep this."
"I'm just messing with you," I replied.
"But, sure, I seem like I have everything I need," Emily replied. "I have a child, a job, a car, a life." Danny looked at us. "All of that, it means absolutely nothing if I don't have someone to love and share my life with. That just happens to be Steve."
"Okay," Danny sighed. "I get it."
"Let's help these people," Emily sighed as she gestured toward the nail shop. "They're very loving people. It's hard to find a good nail shop anywhere."
"Okay. Come on, Danny. Put on your building pants," I smiled. "We're going to help this nail shop get back on their feet and help them with funding."