Chapter Sixteen

"You're hand!" Hermione said suddenly, when she spotted Draco's bruised fist. "Did you hit someone?!" she exclaimed. "Probably a wall." he replied, looking down to his shoes. Hermione sighed, he really had freaked out. "I could fix it, I mean...I know a spell. If it hurts..." Hermione said, awkwardly shifting her weight to her right leg. Things had suddenly become awkward. "Oh yeah...that would be nice." he admit. Hermione held out her own hand, and took Draco's quickly muttering a spell to lessen the pain. She couldn't help but notice the smoothness of his palm, and thought of the night when they shook hands the first time. The linger. "Right. Well I'll talk to Harry about this and um..." Hermione struggled to find words as she quickly removed her hand from Draco's and let it fall to her side. "I suppose we will figure out what to do about this. Shall we meet at the Room of Requirement after class tomorrow?" she asked. Draco smirked, "Yeah, sure." he replied.

Hermione and Harry rolled their eyes as Ron went on and on about "Slughorn's favorites". "Ronald, get over it. If you wanted to come, the invite was open. It's not my fault you ruined your chance by being rude." Hermione snapped. "Oh I'm surprised you didn't invite Malfoy, with the way you've warmed up to him. Hermione are you sure we can trust this guy? I mean if I had asked you the same question last year you would have hit me with one of those ridiculously large books and said I was daft for even considering trusting Malfoy. What has changed?" Ron demanded. She sighed, there was no logical explanation. "Everything." she replied.

...

"What are we going to do? Dumbledore was pretty much safe when I chose not to kill him, but now that Snape has made his vow..." Draco trailed off,. "Maybe he's going to sacrifice his life for yours...and Dumbledore's. He isn't going to help you with your task, he's going to help you get out of it." Hermione said suddenly. "Hermione just wants to believe everyone in the whole bloody universe are good people!" cried a frustrated Ron. "I do not!" argued Hermione in response, and they began to bicker as Harry rolled his eyes in an exhausted manner. "Well it's not a bad thing," said Draco, interrupting them both. The trio stared at him. "Who wouldn't like to believe that everyone is a good person?" he asked shrugging his shoulders. Hermione sighed, "See, Ronald. It's not like I was being unrealistic." "You were." Harry mumbled. "Maybe you should ask that bloody book of yours what to do then." she snapped. Draco had no idea what they were talking about, and he was growing quite impatient with their arguments. As if Hermione could read his mind, she ended the quarrel by saying, "Alright we are wasting time." Draco was learning to appreciate Hermione Granger more and more every day. 

...

By the time they left, they still hadn't much of an idea as to what they  should do. Hermione sometimes wished that it could be somebody else's job to stop the sky from falling. They were back to doing nothing but waiting for a chance to speak to Dumbledore. What else could they really do? Draco was doing his best to stall, and everyday Hermione was rereading everything she could about vanishing cabinets. She figured it was best to know as much as she could in case she had to destroy it. She knew, however, that she shouldn't destroy it now. It was to big of a risk. She thought this all over as she brewed a cup of tea with her wand. The boys had left back to their common rooms, to do homework. Hermione had already done all her homework in advance, and had nothing else to do. The library was closed, unfortunately, so Hermione stayed in the Room of Requirement. There was the sudden yet familiar click of magic behind Hermione. She quickly stood and spun around her wand raised. Draco stopped where he stood at the opening. "Woah, it's just me, Granger." he said. The smallest smile appeared on her face as she lowered her wand. "Granger?" she echoed. Draco shrugged at this, "Old habits die hard." Hermione shook her head. She was quickly realizing her comfort around Draco. Was it a bad thing? She did tell Harry that they could trust him. She told him that they didn't have time to hold grudges, but Hermione found it was easier said then done. "What are you doing here?" he asked. "I could ask you the same question." she challenged, putting her hands on her hips. "I forgot my scarf." replied Draco, pointing to the bright colors that belonged to his house. "And you needed it right now?" Hermione asked. "I wanted to go for a walk...now what are you doing here?" Draco inquired. "Trying to make tea." Hermione said as she shrugged and lift the empty, green tea cup. "Where did you get the tea cup?" he asked. Hermione tapped her wand in response, and the cup took it's original form into a vase. "Nice." he said, walking up to her and taking the vase from her hands. "Not bad, Granger." he said, raising his eyebrows. "However, you don't seem to be having much success with the tea." He said with a smirk. "It's been a while since I've-" Hermione began, but before she could finish her sentence, Draco pulled out his wand and casually tapped the glass once more. It fashioned itself back into a cup, now of green and silver color , and was now full of warm tea. Hermione couldn't hide her surprise, and looked up at him wide eyed. "I've never been able to change the color, and it's quite frustrating really, because it is such a simple spell. I just never seem to be able to..." Hermione stopped when she noticed the smirk on Draco's face. "Well , perhaps you could finish that tea, and join me on my walk." he said. Hermione hesitated, and was just about to decline the offer. "Oh come on, Granger. What's the big deal? If it makes you feel better, we can call it another meeting for the Dumbledore situation." Hermione was really welcoming back the use of her last name, it made her feel comfortable. As though not much had changed. "Fine."

WOW 1.4K!!! I get excited with each new read! Hope you're enjoying it! Please leave a comment with your thoughts! -jazzyjstar*