Chapter Twenty-Two

"I cannot believe you have yet to pack, Ronald Weasley!" Hermione exclaimed, but she could in fact believe this. It was Ron, of course he had not. "Harry hasn't either!" Ron pointed out. "Oh of course he has...right?" she asked turning to Harry. "Well..." Hermione let out an experated sigh. "Alright I am not going anywhere with you too until you've packed! Both of you!" 

        So there she was, sitting on the couch, reading. "First day of Winter Break and you're reading? I shouldn't be surprised." said Ginny, coming down from the stairs. "Well your idiot brother and his friend have yet to pack." Hermione replied. Ginny sighed and chuckled. "Well don't wait around for those two all day...you are welcome to join me for brunch at Hogsmede." Ginny said. Hermione decided it would be nice to catch up with Ginny. "That would be great."

...

        It was around noon, and Draco was just waking up. He took a deep breath, before sitting upright. He found himself looking in the mirror, his hair a wild mess. Sticking up at different ends.He coudn't help but chuckle at his reflection. He washed up, fixed his hair, and headed out for a late breakfast. 

        Draco could not go into the Great Hall. Eating with the people he once called friends was a thought he could not bear. It was hard enough, waltzing into the Slytherin common room like nothing had changed in him, when in fact everything had changed. Draco in his entirety was a completely new person, a person he didn't despisie, and that was something he was proud of. It was this thought, that led him, grinning and alone to Hogsmede. 

        On his way to Hogsmede, he noticed several first and second years smiling warmly at each other. A few, giggling nervously as they chat about how they would spend their Christmas away from home.He thought of what it would be like to go back in time and be a first year again. It was then that things were much easier. He could, at that time, choose a new fate for himself and have never hurt a single person in all his time at Hogwarts. Draco's past was becoming less of a burden with each day that passed, and he was extraordinarily lucky and grateful for this. However he could not help wonder about the decisions the first years were making now, and hoping that they would be making good ones, so that they would not regret it later.

...

        "So..." said Ginny as the two sat down at a table. "So?" Hermione replied, rising her eyebrows. "We haven't had a real conversation in quite a while so it is about time I receive an update." she said. Hermione chuckled. "Okay then." "So first things first...any boys?" she asked rising her eyebrow. This time Hermione burst out into laughter, but Ginny remained quite. "You're serious? Ha! Ginny come on...this is me we are talking about. There's more to life than just boys you know." "Yeah sure there is," replied Ginny rolling her eyes. "But it's not like you've never been interested. How's Viktor?" "Viktor? That was two years ago!" Hermione exclaimed. "Well...he was the only boy I could think of." "The only boy you should be thinking about, Ginny Weasley, is Professor Filtwick." Hermione stated. "Filtwick?!" Ginny gasped in reply. "Yes," she said looking smug. "Because your grades are looking terrible." she concluded. Ginny rolled her eyes. "There's more to life than just school you know." Ginny said in a mocking tone. "Yeah, sure there is." Hermione replied, returning the favor.

        With full stomachs and grins, Hermione and Ginny set out to continue their day. "I want to go check on the boys." Hermione said. "Ooooh what boys?" she replied. "Your brother!" "And Harry." Ginny added. "Ginny don't mess with him, please." Hermione pleaded, thinking of how fast Ginny seemed to be travelling from one boyfriend to another. Harry was not just some other guy. "Who said I was going to mess with him? Who said he even cares?" Ginny replied. Hermione sighed, suddenly feeling exasperated. "Just-nevermind. I'm going to go check on the boys as I said. Thank you for brunch." and with that Hermione turned and walked away. No matter how much she cared about Ginny, Hermione knew how Harry felt and how little Ginny seemed to be feeling. Hermione loved Harry, thought of him much like a brother, so this bothered her quite a bit. A heart was not something to be played with, especially not with someone like Harry who had been through so much already. 
      She thought back to Ginny's boy crazy thoughts and laughed to herself. She hoped that some boy never made her lose sight of what was important. 

...

It had been quite an uneventful day for Draco. He went to Hogsmede, avoided people, thought to himself, and repeated. Perhaps, if he had friends he would enjoy himself. He knew of course, that he had new friends that he was very grateful for but it was quite impossible to spend time with them, get to know them better, when he was Draco Malfoy and they were The Golden Trio. It would be quite suspicious, The Boy Who Lived and his famous friends seen with the boy who's father was Wanted. It just couldn't happen. 

Hope you enjoyed that chapter! I'm actually writing this from my English class! Please leave a comment letting me know what you thought of this chapter. Thank you! -jazzyjstar*