Chapter 8

"Chris wanted you to know that he's sorry he can't make it."

Melanie crossed her arms over her chest and fell back against the pillows on the bed. Mateo had shown her to the suite after a long day with Vero, and she had expected Christopher to be in the suite with her, ready to fulfill his promise of spending the night together. But he wasn't, and Mateo had wisely waited until she was settled in to be the bearer of bad news.

"Production is taking longer than expected, but he should be available in the morning," Mateo explained to her. "Towels are in the bathroom if you want to shower. Clothes are in the closet. If you need anything else, I'll be at the bar."

She huffed out a breath and forced a smile. "Thanks, Mateo. You don't have to worry about me tonight. Enjoy yourself. I'll just be here."

He nodded and then without much else to say, he turned to close the door.

When Melanie was completely alone, she walked into the bathroom and stripped out of her clothes to shower. As she waited for the water to warm up, she grabbed her phone from her bundle of clothes and looked for Lukas' number. She had suddenly remembered that they hadn't spoken all day, and it was only right to inform him that she was thousands of miles from home.

"Hey, pretty girl," he said once the line connected. She didn't even have to wait long to hear his voice. "Everything ok?"

"Christopher flew me out to the Clearwater Resort," she told him.

"Sounds romantic."

"Well, he's filming here."

Lukas hummed. "So, it's really for business, but he thought he could mix some pleasure in."

"It was a nice gesture," she said all too defensively.

"I'm not saying otherwise. But if you're supposed to be enjoying yourself, why are you calling me?"

"Can't I call to check in on my best friend?"

He emitted a heavy sigh. "What's the matter, Melanie?"

She was quiet for a long moment while she gathered her thoughts. Then she finally asked, "Are we okay?"

"Of course we are," he assured her. He had said it with such gentleness that she was almost convinced. "That isn't why you called though, is it?"

"I think I'm homesick."

He chuckled. "If you and I ever get the chance to travel the world, how are you going to survive one night?"

"You want to travel the world?" she asked him. A smile appeared on her lips, and although he couldn't see it, he could hear the happiness in her voice.

"You just said I was your best friend. Isn't that something best friends do together?"

She nodded to herself. "Where would we go?"

"I've always wanted to go to the Clearwater Resort, but you're already there."

"Where else then?"

"I'd go anywhere you go," he said. They fell silent. Then he cleared his throat and continued. "We have our whole lives to plan. That's assuming neither one of us gets married. I'm sure Christopher wouldn't want you flying across the globe alone with me."

She rolled her eyes. "We aren't that serious."

"I wouldn't take a girl to the Clearwater Resort unless I was planning to put a ring on her finger one day."

Her brows knit together as she considered his words. "But you wanted to come here with me."

A loud crash on Lukas' end of the line made him deeply sigh. There was muffled shouting in the background, and even though she couldn't hear what was being said, she could make out some of the words. Lukas wasn't even at all fazed by it, so she had to assume it wasn't his first time experiencing trouble. "I'm sorry to do this to you, pretty girl, but some assholes are smashing all my windows. I'll call you back, alright?"