Son? (Chapter 1)

"I just need you to call your lady friends over so we can all have... a little talk."

I grab my phone to see who was calling,only to see it was Beth one of my best friends."Hello",
"Hey y/n I need you to come over right now,I can't explain just ",please" she says sounding panicked,before I could tell her anything she hung up.I rush to buckle up my 10 month old son,Mateo,and speed over to Beth's house.
Once I get to Beth's house I grab Mateo and walk into the house already being used to just coming in rather than knocking.I walk to the kitchen where I hear talking from a familiar voice "Yo,this backsplash is dope,Hey what's it made out of?Marble?" the voice says. "Yo, you ever get any problems with staining back here?Like if you're cooking a big pot of spaghetti sauce or something like that?" I see Annie nudge Beth to get her to answer, "No,I don't think so". "No?"I hear him laughing,after finally getting the courage to walk in the kitchen I immediately recognize the man as my ex/baby daddy.I look over at Beth,Ruby,and Annie and see how scared they are. "What's up lil mama,how's my son doing"? He says walking over to me and taking Mateo to hold. After he says son Ruby,Annie and Beth look so lost."What's going on here,Why are you here Rio?" I say confused as why my ex would be here with my best friends. "Oh,I was just here to make sure they pay me my money back with interest,of course.",he says smirking.Suddenly Ruby speaks up and says "We didn't know you owned the store". Turning back his attention to the girls he says, "I look like some kind of grocery store manager to you?Or,like,Rotary club or something,No,lets just say that we got certain arrangements with some local businesses and we help each other and whatnot.You know?"At this point Ruby had started tearing up I hated seeing them so scared but what are they keeping from me?Why do they owe him money? "Like money laundering for drugs?". "I told you It was shady",Ruby says whispering to Beth. "Why don't you stop worrying about my business dealings and start figuring how you're gonna pay me my money back". "We can get it back".Beth finally having the courage to say something. "Oh,that would be great",Rio says smiling. "Most of it" Annie pips up to say."Sorry,what?",S-some of it for sure". Rio walks over to me handing Mateo back to me,Mateo reaches out like he wants Rio to hold him again but Rio just smiles a very tiny smile that made my heart jump. "Oh,what,like you guys didn't spend a dime"? Annie says whispering to Ruby and Beth ruining the moment between Rio and Mateo. "How much,Annie"? "I don't know.probably spent,like, a hundred...grand".Beth and Ruby both whisper yell "What?" "I'm gonna shoot you myself",says Ruby."Nah,you're just gonna pay me back is all,I mean right quick too".Rio grabs his gun and his boys start walking away. "So,we'll see you real soon,yeah?",He says looking at Ruby,Beth,and Annie then at me a second longer than the others."You've really got to be careful,ladies" he says lazily pointing the gun at them. "I mean with,citrus on marble,like lemon and whatnot,That stuff will erode like crazy".he says then walks past me holding eye contact for a second then he keeps walking.Once he's gone I yell, "What the hell,guys!", "What is going on"? After a moment of silence Beth speaks up "we robbed a store,y/n".
"You robbed a What!,Why did you rob a store?". "We needed the money." Ruby says looking at the floor. "You guys could've of just asked me for money,I would've of helped,but no,you have to go rob a store and get involved with a gang." "That reminds me y/n,did he call Mateo his son?"