CHAPTER 8: ONWARD AND WELL, ONWARD

So, upon the road our adventurers continue traveling. Seriously, that's what you're going with? Are you sure you don't want to change it? We could do it now, and no one would be the wiser. Just a quick little snip, and it's all over. Pass, huh? Fine, but don't say I didn't warn you. Oh well, onward and upward, I guess.

Our group of intrepid adventurers are traveling down a long and mostly isolated road. In the distance they can see a towering, stone structure, which seemed to be the only building in the immediate area. So, it's the only choice to be had.

As such, the group make their way to the strange building and find themselves standing before two massive doors, that seemed to bar entry to all but the stoutest of warriors. However, this seemingly impassible obstacle, is all bark and no bite. As Sir Gene, the weakest member of the group, can open them easily.

The interior is mostly dark, illuminated only by the light pouring in from the open doorway and a dim sphere suspended in the center of the room, casting dull flashes from the fire inside. Thereby, the room is almost pitch black, but they can just make out that it's a large spacious room whose walls can not be seen, nor its ceiling.

All about the room, there are random glints from what appear to be metal bars that line the walls, top to bottom. And from which, peeks out numerous glowing eyes, all staring at the group, who stand just inside the doorway.

Directly beneath the dimly glowing sphere, is a long table filled with bottles, vials and books. It's at this spot that the majority of light is focused, upon a man flipping through heavy tomes, searching for something as he talks to himself.

"Where is it?" he demanded of himself, as he turns the pages. "I know it's in here somewhere."

Suddenly, he feels very uncomfortable, as though a fire is burning his skin. He checked the mighty sconce above him, but that wasn't the origin of the discomfort. He soon realizes that what he feels is not physical, but psychological. He follows the burning sensation back to its point of origin, where he finds several pairs of eyes staring at him from the dark.

"Dear me," he speaks aloud, before turning to a far away corner. "Thomas!" he calls out. "Change the light! We have guests."

From out of corner emerges a tremendous shadow, almost a giant, with the mass to match. He crosses the floor and stops right next to the man who had called. Within the intense light the giant's features are visible, though not much to speak of. He wears a simple brown tunic and has an unremarkable face.

Thomas takes hold of a big, heavy chain, which hangs from the massive, metal ball in which the fire rages. He pulls down on the chain, causing a loud grating sound as the ball opens up, throwing light all over the expansive area.

The room becomes completely visible, that is after the temporary blindness has worn off and one can clearly see that there are cells of varying sizes. Each of which are built into the walls and each level has its own set. There's also a strange metal contraption. It seems to be a cart with a spiraling staircase, which stops at each level, going all the way to the top.

The sconce is suspended in midair, just above the main floor. It's supported by four heavy chains that are mounted to each corner of the room. And beneath the contraption is the pull chain Thomas had manipulated.

The man leaves his things behind and rounds the table. "Welcome! Welcome to my laboratory! I so rarely receive visitors!" he announces, before greeting each of his visitors, in turn. "I'm Conrad the alchemist." He shakes Old Elric's hand. "That's my official title."