𝟏𝟎; 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐥𝐚𝐫𝐞

▬▬ * ⁎ ❁ ⁎ * ▬▬

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

THERE WAS A series of deafening bangs and rattles―and then, the faint but unmistakable moans and shrieks that snapped Thomas awake. 

Before his groggy mind had even processed what was going on, he had leaped up and threw his backpack over his shoulders, shoving his jacket into it. His dark eyes swept around the dimly-lit warehouse frantically until his gaze fell onto the two figures huddled together in a corner.

"Newt, Rosalind, get up!" He shouted, running over to them and shaking them awake. "Get up, we need to go!"

His voice jolted the two to consciousness, and as quickly as they could, they packed up their stuff and scrambled to their feet, eyes wide with alert.

But it was too late―there was a final loud clang and the metal door to the warehouse burst opened, allowing a swarm of Cranks to flood in.

The three tributes watched in horror as the mutts howled and shrieked, their manic voices echoeing around the chamber like jumpscares in a haunted house, except this time, the monsters were real. And they were about to tear their throats out.

"Come on!" Thomas nudged his allies.

Together, they sprinted through the upper floors of the warehouse just as the Cranks spotted them and started clambering up the staircase to them. The three ran as fast as their numb, tired legs could take them, leaping over fallen containers and large debris, glancing back every now and then to sneak a peek at the malicious monsters. The mutts closed in on them so quickly that they were now at their heels, their broken, dirty nails reaching and scraping the sleeves of their shirts.

Newt threw his axe at the mutts and the blade sunk into the head of one of them, and it went down with a horryifying shriek. But more took its place, despite the blond's accurate aims and Rosalind's flying arrows from her crossbow. Thomas wished he could help, but unfortunately, the only weaponshe possessed was a metal water bottle and a jacket. He could throw the bottle at the mutts, but that would meant losing their only source of water.

"We need to get to higher ground!" Rosalind said as she made a sharp turn down out onto a wide road.

"Yeah, no shit!" Thomas yelled back. 

He nearly tripped over again, this time from one of the mutts grasping desperately at his legs, but Newt grabbed his arm and pulled him up roughly, and they followed close behind Rosalind, never slowing down. Thomas noticed that the blond seemed to limp a little every time he stepped with his left foot.

"We have to get out of here!" Thomas shouted at his allies. "We'll be trapped here if we don't!"

"What do we do then?" Rosalind said.

"The mutts surrounded the door, so we'll have to jump out a window!"

Newt's face paled, the skin fading to a milky white as he blanched.