𝟏𝟗; 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡 𝐨𝐟 𝐚𝐧 𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲

▬▬  * ⁎ ❁ ⁎ * ▬▬

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

IT TOOK A while to wake Newt up, but when he finally came to consciousness, Rosalind and Thomas had to drag the poor boy out the hideout with a very brief explanation of what was going on.

The rain was getting closer. Thomas quickly packed their stuff while Rosalind supported Newt's weight at the doorway. Then they hightailed out of the place, trying to put as much distance as they could between the acid weather.

The raindrops kept falling the longer they ran, and Rosalind knew that they wouldn't be able to outrun it. Still, she pushed forward, urging Newt to keep up. She didn't care if he was weak or sickly or not in his right mind―she would never leave him behind.

The rain was just a few mere metres behind them now. It attacked the dry terrain around them, sending up a horrible sizzling sound as the acid worked its way through the soft sand grains. Despite the allies' best struggles, they couldn't beat the rain.

A few minutes later, Rosalind felt something blisteringly hot at the back of her foot and a shriek escaped her as a sudden jolt of blinding pain shot up her leg. One of the acidic raindrops must have worn through her boots to her foot. She stumbled, nearly bringing Newt down with her, but Thomas hauled them up and pushed them to keep running. 

A second later he let loose a scream too as the acid droplets rained down on him. Small but sadistic curls of smoke steamed from his skin where the rain made contact. He staggered forward, pain etched in his face. 

Rosalind gritted her teeth and surged forward, trying her best to ignore the excrutiating pain in her legs. Newt was a breath away from unconsciousness despite the painful acid raining down on him, and it was all Rosalind and Thomas could do to drag him with them.

Through her pained vision, she glanced around her surroundings and felt her heart drop even further. They were still in the middle of the desert section of the arena, and at the rate they were going it would take more than a day to reach the Cornucopia. They probably wouldn't even last a few more seconds―how on earth would they reach the Cornucopia?

The acid rain finally caught up to the three, and they each shrieked as their skins and tissues corroded away, leaving behind a toxic stench. They stumbled and finally collasped, and Rosalind curled up into a ball as she gave up. It was impossible to escape, and her death had finally come. She couldn't even feel pity for herself for the pain racking throughout her entire body hindered any train of thoughts going through her mind.

And then just as suddenly, it stopped. It took her a long, long while to finally realize that the rain had stopped. The pain was still there, but the acid weather had finally met its end.

She trembled on the hot desert sand, not quite understanding what had happened. The shoes were completely gone, leaving scorching red marks on her feet. Her pants had burnt holes that continued to sizzle even ater a tremendous amount of time had passed, her bare legs decorated with burnt patches showing through.