Ch.22 Attacked

It's a sunny morning, and there are three mafia operatives on the ground, lined up one after the other on a breakwater walkway. Their current status...deceased.

"Make arrangements so that the police don't learn of his. And call a cleaning crew to move the bodies." an old man orders a bunch of other operatives.

This old man had grey, swept-back hair, a moustache, and a short beard ending in a spike. His eyes are violet, with a monocle over his right eye, secured by a gold chain. He dons a long, black coat over a white dress shirt with a black bow. His pants and shoes are the same color as well. Over the coat, he wears a dirt-brown scarf that's nearly the same length as his coat. This man's name is Hirotsu Ryurou.

"Check if any of them had families. If they do, I'll contact them personally. An underboss should be arriving shortly."

"Moring, everyone~. I see Ori-chan got here ahead of me."

Hearing a voice come from somewhere above him, Hirotsu puts away the cigarette he was guiding towards his mouth.

"Just give me a moment~. I'm about to get through a really tough section."

Dazai was sitting on a ledge higher up from us. He was absorbed in an electronic game device. Upon spotting Dazai playing on his device, Hirotsu and the other operatives immediately stand at attention to greet him. I just look at him. He starts to freak out and flail over the game he was playing.

"Ah! Crap! I'm falling behind! Eat fiery death! Gah, he dodged!"

"Thank you for coming all this way, sir. The security detail on one of our warehouses has been killed." Hirotsu speaks.

"It's been a while since anyone has been foolish enough to hit a Port Mafia warehouse."

"10 to 20 wounds each from 9mm rounds. Death was instantaneous. They stole firearms from the warehouse sometime after that."

"Okay, I'll look things over. Take care of this for me will ya?"

Saying this, Dazai passes his game device to Hirotsu, and jumps down onto the walkway. Taken by surprise, Hirotsu fumbles about with the device suddenly thrust upon him.

"Ah! Th-th-this is...! What am I supposed to..."

Dazai becomes serious and crouches down to examine the bodies himself. I stood right by his side.

"Judging by the number of bullet holes and the fact the bullets passed through the bodies, I'd say they used submachine guns at close range. Quite the handiwork. This should be fun. Do we have security footage from the warehouse?"

I produce a bundle of photos in response to Dazai's questions. An operative gave them to me earlier. Dazai takes the photos and looks through them.

"At first glance, they just look like a bunch of vagrants. But these are definitely soldiers who have extensive training. They leave no blind spots as they move. Not to mention the clothes they're wearing..."

"Argh, this is bad! Monumentally bad! Urgh!"

It looks like Hirotsu lost the game. On the screen it said the words 'game over'.

"Hirotsu-san..." Dazai calls.

In a panic, Hirotsu quickly faces us and bows his head in shame.

"My apologies. Provide me with another chance and I assure you that-"

"Do you recognize this gun?" Dazai interrupts.

Dazai hands me the photo, and I show it to Hirostu.

"It's an old model. Probably older then myself. Likely a Walther p38. An old European pistol."

I hand the photo back to Dazai.

"This gun... I saw it last night. Which means...we were attacked by members of the same group right before they hit the warehouse."

"...I imagine that was just a distraction." I spoke.

"Heh, how interesting. They're proving to be far more delightful then I'd imagined." Dazai smirks.

Dazai then looks at me.

"You barely talk. Let's see how smart you are. Explain the rest, or I'll punish you later."

"Yes, Dazai-san. The warehouse they hit was one of the Port Mafia's highest level storage facilities. They got in using a valid security code. A code that is known only to junior underbosses and above."

Dazai lightly smiles at me.

"Very good. Your training is going very well."

"Do you mean to say there is a traitor in our midst? Do we know nothing of this organization we face?" Hirotsu asks.

"My men tried to torture the information out of one of the prisoners we took, but... He took the first opportunity he could to kill himself with a cyanide pill hidden in his back tooth. We did get one piece of information out of him. The name of their organization..."

Dazai held a dark smile on his face.

"Mimic."