• And He Woke •

• Ellie •

I woke up, sunshine rays filling my line of sight. I yawned, and sat up from the hospital bed. Daniel was laying down on his back, just as he was last night when I pushed him over slightly to sleep in his bed. Quickly after fixing my hair in a nearby mirror and patting down my dress, I got up and out of Daniel's hospital bed.

Carefully, I dragged Daniel so he was centered in the bed again, and I sat back down on the short seat that was behind me. "How did you sleep last night, Daniel?" I asked, knowing he wouldn't answer. I sighed, mentally slapping myself for being so dumb. The white doors at the end of the hall opened, and Anne came in.

She waved hello, and once in front of me we greeted each other with a kiss. "Hello, Ellie. How's Daniel? Is he doing any better?" Anne asked. "Not from what I can tell." I replied sadly. "But, I think he'll wake up soon."

Anne smiled. "It's nice that you're holding onto hope, Ellie." She grinned. "Why are you so bubbly this morning?" I asked her cheekily. "The nurse at the front desk told me that Phillip has finally woken up." She explained happily. "What?! Really?!"

Anne nodded. "Well, What are you still doing here? Go kiss him!" I exclaimed. Anne kissed my cheek quickly before reminding me, "I'll probably be back around noon with Phillip." I nodded and shooed her off. Anne rushed to exit the room.

I turned back to Daniel and sighed. "Guess who's up? Your brother." I told his unconscious body. I grabbed his hand and squeezed it. "At least he's ok. You'd want that, wouldn't you? I mean your so kind and caring for others." I sighed. "This is pointless. Absolutely pointless."

"Ma'am? Or, should I call you, m'lady?"

A nurse appeared next to me, glancing back and forth between my eyes and me and Daniel's intertwined hands. "Ellie is fine." I smiled. She seemed timid and nervous, but i understood. "Do I need to leave?" I asked with a frown. "No, no." She was quick to tell me. "I just brought breakfast for you."

I grinned. "For me? But, doesn't Daniel need food?" The nurse chuckled softly, setting the food down on a nearby table. "He's unconscious, sweetie." She explained. "Daniel here has his food transferred through that tube." The nurse pointed to a tube that was connected to Daniel's arm. I nodded. "Oh. Ok. Thank you for the food." She smiled once more and left me with Daniel.

I turned to the tray of food and picked up a slice of bread with some butter smeared on. I took a bite out of it and grinned. "Delicious."

I perked up as I heard the white doors open. It was around 12:30, and Phillip and Anne came into the room. When they spotted me, they both waved excitedly. I waved back and grinned.

Phillip pulled me into a tight embrace.

"Oh my!" I exclaimed. "Are you ok?"

Phillip nodded. "I'm fine. How's Daniel doing?"

"Well," I replied, "he still hasn't woken up from his coma. The nurses tell me that he is peaceful in his sleep, though."

Phillip nodded slowly. "Do you know when he's going to wake up?"

"No," I said sadly. "I wish."

"How do you feel? Are you feeling ok? You cans sit down if you want," I offered to Phillip.

Anne chuckled. "That won't be necessary, Ellie. Thank you though." I nodded.

"Ellie?"

The voice was hoarse and scratchy, but I recognized it either way. "DANIEL!" I yelled. I whirled around to face him. Our smiles were both so wide when I leaned down to press my lips to his. "Thank God you're ok!"

Daniel laughed hoarsely. I laughed after him. "Why did you go into the building?" I asked. "You should've stayed outside where you were safe."

"You were in—" Daniel paused to cough "—trouble. So was Anne. We had to help you."

I shook my head. "You two are idiots," I joked. "You could've been killed."

"You could've been killed!" Daniel snapped.

"Anyway," I began. "I'm not the only one here, you know?"

Daniel finally ripped his gaze away from my face and turned to see Anne and Phillip.

"Anne! Phillip!" He exclaimed happily. "I'm so glad you two are ok!"

Phillip laughed and leaned in towards Daniel for a hug. I smiled at the two.

"Thank God you two turned out all right," Anne sighed. "Ellie didn't want to go home. She stayed overnight."

I smiled sheepishly and looked down. "Really?" Daniel asked.

I nodded. "Yes. I wanted to be here when you woke up."

Daniel smiled, reaching out for my hand and squeezing it tightly as it lay in his hand.

Even though we had no job, no money, and no friends, for the moment, I am extremely happy.