Chapter 3

Upon arriving home, Kara opened the door, calling for her sister's name. She waited in silence a few seconds, long enough to know Alex was nowhere to be seen. The blonde girl entered the apartment, holding the door for her friend, who followed her. Lena looked especially cute in that moment, Kara thought, clutching her bottle and observing the room with attention. Her eyes were bright, as if she was witnessing some sort of magic... Kara shook her head, reluctant to being driven away by such feelings.

Lena, still standing next to her friend, could not believe she was all alone with Kara that night. It was certainly not the first time she'd come over, but Alex, Sam or even James were always there with them, playing board games or just hanging out. Without them to keep her on the line, and accompanied with a bottle of wine, Lena didn't  want to imagine how that night could end, the things she could say. She needed to avoid drinking at all costs.
Kara picked up her phone, quickly dialling to order the pizza - of course, she knew the number by heart - before heading to the couch, where she finally sat. Lena was trying not to look weird, so she sat next to the blonde girl, keeping a safe distance.
'So... what are the plans for tonight? Which movie are we watching? Because I cannot stand watching Mean Girls again, love.' Lena said, her eyes fixated on Kara's face, which was beautifully illuminated by the TV screen.
'No Mean Girls, no. I don't hate you that much.' She joked in response, before quickly adding. 'The movie I chose for tonight is...' Kara mimicked drumrolls. 'Love, actually! What do you think?'
'I...' Undoubtedly, Lena hated those sorts of movies, but watching them with Kara was definitely fun. She got excited over every single thing, even when the ending was certainly predictable. 'It sounds great, darling, yeah.'
'Great! I'll go get it.' she began, standing up. 'You get the wine and... I guess that's all we need. See? That's why I love pizza!' She was already leaving the living room, when she suddenly turned around, looking at Lena once again. 'And I don't hate you, dummy, not even a little bit.' Kara added, before disappearing in her bedroom.

Lena Luthor could only stare at the point where her best friend had been seconds before. Kara would never stop amazing her: her words were simply always right. She left the couch, opening the fridge with an unknown familiarity, taking out the wine she had brought. When she sat again, placing the bottle on the coffee table, her mind was already somewhere else. Lena had never gotten drunk in front of Kara, nor had her friend done the same with her. However, something about being able to tell the truth about her feelings excited her. Maybe, just maybe, she could not care about her words, she could refuse to choose everything she did carefully, she could try and loosen up a bit...
Luckily, the doorbell rang, dragging her out of such thoughts. Afraid Kara would see her, Lena got up and opened the door, finding the delivery guy standing with three boxes on his hand.
'Miss Danvers?' He started, offering the hot boxes to her.
In a moment of confusion, Lena nodded, taking in the sensation of being someone else just for a minute. 'Yes, that's me or, well, my girlfriend, but it's the same.' The words sounded gracious on her mouth, and she spoke them with such conviction even she was being fooled.
Out of nowhere, she felt the heat of someone's body behind her. Shit. Kara.
'I'll take these, thank you so much...' Kara stepped forward, handling the three boxes on one hand, and offering the money with the other. 'Okay, bye!'

The blonde girl crossed the doorway, leaving Lena behind and heading to the kitchen, where she left the pizza's. 'So... I'm your girlfriend now?' She said, not turning to see the brunette. Maybe it was just how friends called each other, Kara thought. Still, she could hear her friend's heart beating rapidly against her chest, as if she were nervous.
'What? You mean that?' Lena gestured to the door, a clueless expression showing in her face. 'I was just messing around, Kara, don't worry.'
Kara was definitely worried. Why was Lena so upset now? 'Oh, alright then, let's go see the movie.' She murmured, extremely confused.

Lena wished she could slap herself without it being weird. Her girlfriend? What was she thinking, saying that? That it would change things? It certainly did, but only made them worse. She thanked whatever deities Kara believed in that she didn't know much about human relationships.
They began eating, Kara apparently focusing her attention on a story she'd seen millions of times, and Lena drowning herself in her thoughts and wine. Okay, she'd promised she wouldn't drink that night, but the incident with Kara was reason enough to break that promise. She didn't really know how much she had drank, but it did not matter, because the blonde woman was not paying any attention to her.

Kara Danvers had honestly seen that silly movie thousands of times: she remembered each line precisely. Consequently, she couldn't care less about the film; she was still worried about Lena. Although she wasn't directly looking at the brunette and couldn't hear her thoughts, she knew something was wrong. The bottle of wine was almost empty, and Kara hadn't even touched her glass. She couldn't quite understand the effect alcohol had on humans, but she'd seen it on Alex, and knew there was a fine line between fun, and dangerous. She was afraid Lena had well crossed that line.
She paused the movie, but her friend didn't seem to notice. 'Lee?' She leant on her, trying to drag her out of her thoughts. 'Lena, are you okay?'
Suddenly, the Luthor seemed to wake. She grunted, trying to force herself to remain silent. What came out, however, was a bitter 'What do you want?'
Kara tried not to look hurt. It was the wine talking, not Lena. 'Lee, I think you've drank too much. Maybe we should get you to bed, y'know?'
'I don't care what you think, Kara... Don't you get it? I don't care - I just don't.' Tears were building up on the brunette's eyes, which only made Kara sadder.
'I-, what do you mean, you don't care? Let's go to bed, Lee, we'll talk tomorrow, alright? You're drunk.'
'I don't want to go to bed with you! I want... I want so much more than that, darling.'
'I don't understand, Lee.' Kara began, but she was interrupted by her friend's soft voice.
'Of course you don't, love, you never have and you never will. I need to sleep, please.'
Lena tried to get up, but Kara was there to hold her before she hit the ground. The blonde girl managed to guide her towards her own bedroom, where she tucked her in the bed after having taken her friend's heels off.
Kara was already leaving the room, but she heard Lena's voice calling out her name, so she immediately rushed next to her side.
'What is it? Are you okay? Need anything?'
Lena was drifting off, but her answer was clear to Kara's ears. 'Don't leave me, please. Stay here, with me.'
The younger one was completely taken by surprise by these words. It was so not like Lena to behave like that, to ask for things, let alone ask for that. Nonetheless, deep down it sounded like the most sincere thing Lena'd said that night.
Kara got in the bed next to her body, hugging her friend from behind. Before the brunette could fall asleep, the blonde heard her whisper 'I love you, my love'.
Kara's eyes filled with tears, without apparent reason. She'd been so worried about Lena the whole time, and now... now she was only confused about her feelings, and her own.