Chapter 5

The following morning, Kara woke up, missing Lena's body sleeping next to her. That was not weird between friends, right? She tried not to give it too much thought, focusing instead on the day ahead, when... she was supposed to face Lena. Now, that was really going to be weird.

It was too early to leave for work: Alex wasn't even awake yet, but that'd been on purpose: Kara didn't need her sister asking hundreds of questions, making her feel even more nervous than she already was. After the quickest breakfast Kara had ever had, she left her apartment, taking the bus to Cat-Co. Before entering the building, however, the blonde girl stared at the place where she usually bought Lena doughnuts. Should she? Whatever, I can eat them if she doesn't want to, Kara thought, and entered the store. Carrying a dozen of her friend's favourites, the younger Danvers walked towards her office in silence, as the place seemed completely empty.

Kara was working on her upcoming article, but her focus was elsewhere. What would she say when seeing Lena? Should she even say something about what'd happened? It was unlike her to avoid difficult situations - she was Supergirl, after all. But nothing had ever scared her like this. Losing her best friend was not something Kara Danvers would allow. Her sight was lost in the doughnut's paper bag when she heard the sound of rustling papers. Immediately, she stood up, assuming someone may have broken in the building. Then it hit her: who, besides herself, would be hours earlier in their office, working?

Lena hadn't slept a single bit the night before. She stayed in her office at L-Corp until midnight, when she headed to Cat-Co. The only thing that could take her mind off Kara was that, work. She tried to finish the project she'd been working on for weeks, but her thoughts were elsewhere. Suddenly, she abandoned her chair: try as she might, her friend's face kept on appearing on her mind. The Luthor wandered in her office, hugging a pile of papers against her chest. Such was her abstraction from the real world, that the papers fell off her hands, scattering all around the floor. Cursing, she couldn't stop thinking about the fact that she would have to face everything in a couple of hours- Kara, what had happened nights before, the words that had slipped off her mouth. She was dreading that moment, but she still had time before that, right?

She wasn't right. Lena, kneeling on the floor and trying to gather her work, suddenly stopped and turned into the doorway in her office. Standing there, with half a smile on her face, was Kara, looking as bright as ever. Her shirt wasn't completely buttoned, which drove Lena insane in a matter of seconds, but she quickly lifted her sight, praying the blonde woman wouldn't notice her blush.

'Hey.' Kara muttered, standing still and uncertain on whether she should come in or not. She decided not to move.

'Kara?' Lena was in shock. How was she there? Wasn't it like 5 am? God, was she hallucinating? She couldn't move, but gestured for her to come in with her head.

Kara entered the room and immediately knelt on the ground, next to the brunette, collecting the pages spread. In complete silence, they placed the papers on a pile on Lena's desk, and as they did so, their eyes and hands met. Lena could not stand seeing Kara's blue eyes fixed on her, so she turned slightly, avoiding her sight and touch.

'I- I woke up earlier today and couldn't get myself to sleep again, so I came here to try and work on my article, I don't know. What about you? It's really early, even for the boss.' She finished the sentence with a broad smile directed strictly to her friend. She stood up, leaving Lena trapped between her and the desk behind.

'Yeah, same for me. I should, uhm, get back to work, you know. I'll see you later, maybe.' Lena's heart hurt as she pronounced those words, but her head was still spinning from the sight of Kara looking like that when she entered the office, the smile she'd given her, and how fast it disappeared after she spoke.

'Oh, sure.' Kara was taken aback by Lena's attitude, but Alex'd said she would need some time. The younger Danvers started walking towards the door, but turned before heading out, only to find her friend sitting in front of the screen, already typing on her computer. 'I...' Kara began, unsure of what she wanted to say. Lena didn't even look at her. 'I love you, Lee.' She abandoned the room, leaving her words to float and fade there.