Secrets Revealed

Katniss P.O.V.

Katniss watched in horror as Percy stood his ground before the monstrous mutt bearing down on him. As it came within striking distance, it raised a paw armed with those glistening, two-foot talons. Bringing down its paw, it roared it's bone-shattering roar again.

Gale was dragging her away as she watched helplessly. Right as she was sure that Percy Jackson was going to die, he dived to the side and rolled, coming up behind the behemoth. As soon as Percy was out of sight, the mutt saw Katniss and Gale and dashed forward at an alarming speed. Apparently it didn't have a good attention span. Before it got close enough to strike, it froze and whirled back towards Percy with a knife protruding from it's side. A knife? Why would he throw a knife?

The monster roared again and charged towards Percy, who flinched violently. Well, that's what it looked like he did, and that's what she would do in his situation, but a second later the enormous bear toppled backward and fell. It wasn't breathing. Looking back at Percy, she saw that he had a steely look in his eye, his movements steady and determined. She crept closer to the mutt and saw six arrows sunk halfway down their length in its chest, with one through its right eye.

Calmly, Percy approached the bear, drew a sword, and decapitated it. He then went to work pulling out his arrows and knife, cleaning them, and returning them to their quiver or sheath, respectively.

She and Gale were glued to the spot, staring in awe at the warrior who stood before them. This was not Percy Jackson, the kind son of the village charity worker. This was entirely different. He looked taller, walked with a dangerous, prowling gait, and every movement projected power and grace. 

"What... how... wait..." Katniss stammered, her mouth opening and closing like a fish out of water.

Gale seemed to snap out of his trance. "Holy crap, how did you do that!? That bear thing was at least twenty feet tall and probably five feet wide, it was massive and you just shot it with your bow, there's no way that bow is powerful enough to put a three-foot arrow two feet deep in that thing, it's dead, I mean it was probably designed to be bulletproof, and it's dead..." he spluttered.

Katniss looked more closely at the thing and saw that the fur looked shattered where Percy's arrows hit. Gale was right, it was probably made to be bulletproof. How, then, did Percy's arrows break through the bulletproof armor, then slice through the thing's muscle and bone two feet deep, and kill it? How did that even happen? She looked at him inquisitively. He stayed silent.

After collecting his weapons, his sword suddenly nowhere to be seen, he walked past them into the trees and melted into the background. Maybe those clothes were worth two deer. She made eye contact with Gale and realized that they were still in danger; wordlessly, they gathered the deer she had shot and went home.

*                *                *

Percy mentally facepalmed, again. He was sooo screwed. So screwed. He repeated this to himself continuously while shadowing Katniss and Gale to make sure they stayed safe. He was so screwed. He told Prim that he would be living with them, for goodness sake, then he went and did that? He knew he had a dramatic flair, but seriously? 

He could think of a thousand ways he could have done that and somehow attribute it to luck, such as toppling a tree onto it, tricking it into falling on a large spike, but he was in front of Katniss, so he just had to take it down himself. For now, they were just astonished and immensely curious, but when would that give way to fear and distrust? Trust was everything to him. 

He would never betray someone who had given him their trust, and to have his own trust betrayed, or to be distrusted in that way hurt. It hurt a lot. He was loyal to the end. He only wished that the same could be said of everyone else.

Sighing, he broke off towards his own house once they reached the fence safely, went inside, and collapsed on his mother's bed. Her scent and presence always helped him think, and today was no different. He closed his eyes and breathed deeply. What should I do? What is going on? Who am I? Better yet, what am I? he asked himself. He breathed in again, tasting her scent mingled with an ocean breeze. His eyes snapped open.

There, in front of him, stood a handsome guy with a trident, wearing sandals, Bermuda shorts, and a Hawaiian t-shirt. "Percy," he said, sadness in his eyes. "I'm sorry."

Percy felt like he should be startled, but after everything, he just laid back down. "For what?" he asked tiredly. "I don't even know you."

"Exactly, Percy," the man said. "I'm so sorry I couldn't be there for you. I felt Sally's death, I had to come... I'm sorry."

"Oh," Percy said. Even with everything that had just happened, all on the same day, this was crazy. "Are... are you my dad? Wait, what do you mean felt her death?"

"Yes, I'm your father. I felt her die, Percy. Percy... I have a lot to tell you."

"Yeah, no kidding," Percy said. "You had better." He sat up on the bed and leaned forward, giving his complete and utter attention to the stranger... his father.

The man took a deep breath. "My name is Poseidon," he began, "and I am a god."