Goodbyes

After the anthem ended, Percy and Katniss were surrounded by Peacemakers and escorted to their waiting room. Percy looked around, refusing to be impressed. Every sign of wealth that this room showed was just another example of the citizens of the districts being taken advantage of. The curtains alone could have fed a family like Katniss's for weeks.

Percy heard the door to the room down the hall open and then close. It was silent for a bit, and then Katniss started talking. He figured he wasn't supposed to be able to hear what the other tributes were getting told, but hey; they couldn't tell him what to do. Except for when they told him to participate in the games. Then he guessed they could. 

"Prim can't take out any tesserae," Katniss said. "You can get by on the goat's milk and cheese from Prim's goat and the apothecary business, if you're careful. Gale will get you any herbs that you don't grow yourselves, and he'll bring you meat. He probably won't ask for anything, but you should thank him with some sort of trade." She continued instructing them about fueling, and trading, and staying in school.

Suddenly, her voice rose, growing in intensity. "Listen to me. Are you listening to me?" she asked. Percy frowned. After a brief pause, she continued. "You can't leave again." Ah. That's what this was about.

"I know. I won't. I couldn't help what --" her mother responded, but Katniss cut her off.

"Well, you have to help it this time. You can't just clock out and leave Prim on her own. There's no me now to keep you both alive. It doesn't matter what happens. Whatever you see on the screen. You have to promise me you'll fight through it!" she finished, yelling by this point. It was harsh, but Percy couldn't blame her.

"I was ill. I could have treated it myself if I'd had the medicine I have now," her mom said, sounding angry as well.

"Then take it. And take care of her!" Katniss snapped back.

"I'll be all right, Katniss. But you have to take care, too. You're so fast and brave. Maybe you can win," Prim said. The answering silence told Percy how much credit she put in that idea.

"Maybe," Katniss said finally. "Then we'd be as rich as Haymitch,"

"I don't care if we're rich," Prim said. "I just want you to come home. You will try, won't you? Really, really try?"

"Really, really try," Katniss responded. "I swear it."

The door opened again, probably a Peacemaker coming to escort her family out. There was a short period when Percy couldn't hear anything, until he heard another familiar voice. 

"Hey Katniss," it said timidly. Percy's eyebrows rose. Peeta? "We brought you some cookies..." he said.

"Peeta," Katniss said. "I didn't... expect you to come."

"Yes, well... I just wanted to wish you luck," he said, sounding sad. "My dad and I will keep an eye on Prim. Make sure she's eating. I hope you make it back," he said sincerely before leaving.

The next person was very direct. "They let you wear one thing from your district in the arena. One thing to remind you of home. Will you wear this?" she asked immediately. Percy wondered what it was Madge was giving Katniss. Madge was the mayor's daughter, and she was very quiet; Katniss was one of her only friends.

"Your pin?" Katniss asked.

"Here, I'll put it on your dress, all right?" she said. "Promise you'll wear it into the arena, Katniss? Promise?" she asked urgently. Her pin? Percy racked his brain. She was wearing a pin of a golden bird in flight earlier today; that was probably it.

"Yes," Katniss said, and Percy heard Madge leave. 

Minutes passed without sound, and Percy knew who was with her. His suspicions were confirmed when he heard Gale's voice. "Listen. Getting a knife should be pretty easy, but you've got to get your hands on a bow. That's you best chance," he told her.

"They don't always have bows," Katniss responded. Percy shuddered, remembering the one when there were only spiked maces. Bludgeoning is messy.

"Then make one. Even a weak bow is better than no bow at all." Percy smiled. He was already planning to smuggle his backpack in, and having a bow wouldn't be a problem for either of them.

"I don't even know if there'll be wood," Katniss pointed out, probably thinking of the time with the snakes. A lot of people died from the venomous bites, or went insane from dehydration. Percy scowled involuntarily. He had hated that one.

"There's almost always some wood. Since that year half of them froze to death."

Percy nodded to himself. Gale was probably right; since then, there was usually firewood, at least.

"Yes, there's usually some," said Katniss.

"Katniss, it's just hunting. You're the best hunter I know," Gale said, but Percy couldn't disagree more. He would never think of it that way; doing so would be to become a pawn of the Capitol. There were real people in there, and he wouldn't kill anyone without realizing that first.

"It's not just hunting. They're armed. They think," Katniss said.

"So do you," Gale replied. "And you've had more practice. Real practice. You know how to kill."

"Not people," Katniss said, sounding distressed.

"How different can it be, really?" Gale said, sounding grim. Percy sighed. 

Percy heard the Peacemakers barge in, and Gale ask for more time. Of course, they refused. 

"Don't let them starve!" Katniss cried desperately.

"I won't! You know I won't! Katniss, remember I --" The door slammed, cutting off what he said from her ears; but not Percy's. "--love you," Gale finished dejectedly.

During all this time, no one had visited Percy, which only strengthened his conviction to make sure she won.

After they had talked to Katniss, Prim, her mom, and Gale came to see Percy. Prim stood at the door, hesitating. He didn't blame them; except for Gale, he was surprised that they had come. He was, after all, supposed to kill Katniss in the games. He smiled at Prim and walked over to her, scooping her up in a hug.

"What'd I tell you?" he asked. "She has me and Gale for her. Gale will be taking care of you guys while I take care of her."

Prim's face brightened. "Really?" she asked. "Will you really keep her safe?"

Percy laughed. "Of course, little duck. Don't you worry; Katniss will come back, safe and sound. You'll get her back."

Prim looked overjoyed for about five seconds, then she stared at Percy in horror. "But what about you?" she asked, tearing up. 

"Oh, I'll be fine. I'll think about that after I do my job," he told her.

Her eyes were wide. "But Percy... you'll die!" she said. 

He sighed. "Yeah. I will. But that's okay, right? I'll get to see my mom again, and you'll get to see Katniss again," he said, trying to sound happy and keep the tremble out of his voice. Prim nodded, tears welling in her eyes, before rushing forward to embrace him. He held her again, held her close. "I'll miss you, Prim," he said, tears stinging his eyes.

She released a choked sob. "I'll miss you too." It was barely a whisper. 

Percy stood up and looked at Mrs. Everdeen. She had tears in her eyes, and nodded to him gratefully before leading Prim out the door. Percy faced Gale. The anger was gone from his eyes. He stepped in to quickly give him a bro-hug. They stepped apart and clasped hands. 

"Keep them safe. I'll send her back to you," Percy said. "Don't start a revolution without me," he added, smirking.

Gale rolled his eyes. "I'll be busy taking care of two families. I won't even have time to do that until she gets back."

Percy shrugged. "Just thought I'd make sure." 

Gale smiled at him before leaving. "Don't die too gruesomely," he said. Percy only responded with a wink, and Gale snorted before closing the door. Percy took a deep breath. Showtime.