The Bloodbath

The metal plate pushed Percy up through the tube, and he was in darkness for about fifteen seconds before emerging into dazzling sunlight that had him blinking. He almost dropped a cookie, and suddenly realized that maybe they weren't such a good idea after all. If one of them fell onto the pressure plates, he would be blown to smithereens. Worth it. 

He sat down on his platform and continued eating his cookies, drawing incredulous glances from the other tributes. He ignored them, the timer, and the buzzer as he devoured his little blue shards of heaven. He got up and started sauntering towards the Cornucopia, watching sadly as the Careers slaughtered kids from lower districts who foolishly took their chances at getting a weapon. He flinched when he saw Clove throw a knife at Katniss over the dead body of another tribute, but he relaxed when she hiked up her backpack, caught the knife, and disappeared.

"Nice try!" he called. "Maybe next time, Clove!"

She whirled on him angrily, but he just grinned. She sprinted towards him, and he stood still, apparently unworried. When she got close enough, she threw one of her knives at his chest. Percy had watched her, and he knew she never missed. He leaned to the side in a blur of movement and caught the knife by the hilt as it went by.

She froze in terror as he moved as if to throw it back at her, but he stopped, pocketed the knife, and winked at her. She scowled and blushed as she ran off, probably to get more loot or murder some other unfortunate tribute. Percy continued to eat his cookies as he walked farther into the Cornucopia.

Cato started towards him with a machete and a murderous look on his face, but stopped when Clove grabbed his arm and whispered in his ear. Percy wasn't supposed to hear it, but how were they supposed to know about his enhanced senses?

"Cato, you know he got a twelve. He literally caught one of my knives out of the air when I threw it at him, and he probably has it ready to throw back at you the second you get close enough," she said. Ha! Close enough? Percy could nail him in the head from where he was.

Cato paused, a look of uncertainty flashing across his face before sending Percy a death glare and walking away. Percy shrugged and smirked at him, which made his face darken, but he still had enough self-control to continue his retreat. Percy continued following them. 

Cato and Clove started running again, collecting loot and slaughtering tributes. One of the Career tributes, the boy from District 4, had died in the battle, which surprised Percy a bit. Usually all the Careers survived the bloodbath. Percy watched sadly as he continued his slow journey to the center. He wished he could save them all, but he knew only one could live. All the other tributes had to die in order for Katniss to win. That didn't mean he was happy when they did. 

By the time he made it to the middle of the field, the battle was over. The remaining Careers stood in front of him, weapons at the ready. Percy put his hands in his pockets and gave them his most disarming grin. 

"If any of you killed Rue, I'm going to kill you all," he said. They shifted uneasily at his complete lack of fear.

One by one, they all shook their heads. "As far as I know, she's still alive," said Cato, who seemed to be the leader of the group. Percy nodded.

"Sweet, I'll be hanging with you guys then," he said cheerfully, even though he was disgusted by the carnage around them. He couldn't let them know exactly how much he despised them. Not yet.

They looked at each other in surprise. "And why would we let you join us?" Cato asked scornfully.

"Because if you don't, I'll slaughter you all here and now," Percy responded, shrugging. "Your choice."