The Reaping

Percy yawned and stretched. Prim was already making everyone breakfast, and he smiled happily at her as he started to sit up. He glanced down, and suddenly all of the events of the night before rushed back to him. Following Katniss to Gale's house, and forcing himself to stand far enough away that he couldn't hear what they were saying. Walking her home under his coat, and her collapsing the second they walked into the door. He had barely caught her, staggering over to the nearest sleeping structure, which happened to be his bed, and laying her down before passing out. With her. 

He turned bright red as he maneuvered himself around her to get up without disturbing her sleeping form. He made the mistake of looking directly at her face. His breath hitched, and he had to force himself to turn away. 

"Hey Prim, good morning," he said, rubbing his eyes as he set the table. 

She smirked. "Good morning, lover boy," she said without looking up at him. He rolled his eyes and glanced back over at Katniss. She looked so peaceful; happy, even. Beautiful. 

"Stop staring and start helping," Prim said, still without looking up. Percy glared at the back of her head. "We need to get ready for the Reaping. I hope none of us are chosen." She sighed.

"Hey, Prim, I'm sure you won't be chosen. You only have your name in there once; after all, you're only twelve," he said, hating himself. He knew he would get chosen.

"Yeah, well, Katniss is in there a lot," Prim said, glancing at her sister. "With all the tesserae she's taken out for us, she'll be in the reaping twenty times. She won't let me take any, though." Prim sounded regretful that she couldn't help, but relieved and grateful all the same. 

Percy smiled at her. "That just means she's a good sister, little one," he said. "She'll keep you safe."

Prim nodded sadly. "Yes, I know. But who's there for her?"

"She's got me and Gale, right?" he asked. "She'll be fine. I'll make sure of it," he promised her. He turned around to go get dressed and found an unimpressed-looking Katniss looking at him with her hands on her hips. 

"Hey... good morning," Percy said, glancing at the bed and blushing. He looked up and saw a similar pink tinge to her cheeks when she noticed what he had been looking at. 

"Don't say a word," she said threateningly. He only winked before slipping into the bathroom to change. By the time he emerged, she almost had her blush under control, but one look at him had her face heating again. He looked down at himself. A gift from his mother, he was proud of his sleek blue suit. The deep blue suit and pants, white shirt, and light blue patterned tie fit perfectly. Just for his mother, he had even done his hair. Katniss was staring.

Because of the deer that they had caught the day before, they didn't need to hunt today, so he waved awkwardly and headed for the door. "I'm heading to Gale's, have fun," he said before disappearing. 

Once he was on the street, he took a deep breath. He walked carefully to his friend's house, trying not to get the dirt on the road onto his dress shoes or suit. He made it to the front door, knocked, and scooped up little Posy when she answered it. 

"Hi Posy!" he said, booping her nose and making her laugh. "Where's Gale?"

"Hey Percy," came Gale's voice off to the side, and Percy turned, setting Posy down. She scampered off at Gale's request, and they faced each other for a few moments. 

"What are you doing?" Gale asked him, sounding as if he wasn't sure whether or not to be mad. 

Percy frowned. "What do you mean?" he questioned, thinking back to everything he had done to or with Gale. "What did I do?"