Chapter 7

"Can I please come with you tonight?" My sister begged as I put on the uniform's hat and grabbed my car keys.

I sighed heavily and rolled my eyes before turning back around to face her. "I told you earlier, you can't just come to work with me. That's not how jobs work."

"You work with one other person, who will ever know?" Vee stared at me with her dark blue eyes, which were way too innocent looking for her personality.

"No."

"But-"

I stared down at her sternly. Why couldn't she see I was protecting her? "Vee, this isn't a game. Going there is dangerous work and I can't be watching you and after myself with the danger there."

"I've gone with you on night guard jobs before." Genuine hurt crossed her face, making me feel slightly bad for sounding harsh, and she backed away. "... Why's this different? I hate staying here alone all the time."

"It's dangerous... more so than the older jobs." I didn't want to mention how the last one I'd been fired from was because she wandered off from me and was caught messing with the security system. She knew it was her fault.

"How?"

What was I going to say to that? Even I wasn't sure exactly why the animatronics were as dangerous as they were. "Something isn't right okay? I just have a feeling things aren't going to get any easier. I'll explain later, alright? I can't be late."

"I'll make sure you do." A frown crossed her face as she turned away from me.

"Violet." She paused at her full name but didn't look back. "Don't get into trouble. I promise I'll explain once I know what's happening myself... Maybe over lunch at the ice cream place?"

She still didn't show her face but I could tell by the slight turn of her head she was hiding her smile; forcing herself to still seem upset at me. I relaxed and gave a sigh before leaving. Despite that set back I would still be able to get to work before twelve, which meant Mike couldn't get on me for not being in the office this time.

The parking lot was empty when I arrived, which made the place seem even more unnerving than usual. Still, I hastily went inside after rechecking the time and stared around at the dark, shadowy building. It was hard to believe children actually came in here when the place was closed for the night. I stared daggers at the three figures on stage; they weren't going to move for another ten minutes- hopefully longer.

I began walking towards the office when a faint glow caught my attention. "What? Who's there?"

Silence greeted me as I stared in the direction I'd seen the glow. "What was that? It didn't look like a flash light beam... could it be an animatronic?"

"Come out." I carefully moved closer, my eyes shifting towards the stage where the figures were staring straight ahead. I didn't have time for this. "Stop playing games!"

There was a blur of movement back towards the other side of the room this time and I snapped my head in time to watch whatever, or whoever, it was disappear. A scowl crossed my face. "Probably some kid thinking it would be funny to play a prank on their parents."

I was about to head in their direction to tell them off and call in to report finding a possibly missing child but another scuffling sound came from my left... Much closer than I liked too. I whirled around, fumbling for a weapon as I barely made out a shadow moving from the backstage area.