Chapter 8: An Adventure at the Zoo

TUESDAY 11:03 PM

I was well aware of Richard's relationship with the cities richest man but to be given a penthouse as a high school graduation gift is insane. I wish at least I could have a key to his place, though this is the first time I've been here I intend on coming back frequently.

The door opened and that usually friendly face Richard has was full of confusion. "L? What are you doing here?!"

I clung to him begging to be embraced after the whole situation with my mother and he complied. I never wanted to let go because once I did I'd have to tell him everything. We moved as one inside and Richard shifted a bit to close the door.

"So why am I being blessed with your presence?", he asked gently pushing me off of him. I nervously fidgeted with my hands and walked off. "L! Don't avoid the question!"

I turned around and looked him in the eyes. "Promise you won't get mad?", I asked giving him puppy dog eyes. He thought to himself for a moment making me anxious but then he nodded. "Okay...I ran away from home and I need somewhere to stay. The freakin' police are after me and the Riddler is stalking me. I just need to get away from it all. Please, can I just stay here for the night?"

"What did you do to get the police after you?", he asked. I sighed and hid my face in the palms of my hands.

"My so-called mother was trying to send me away. She seriously believed I'd go to Arkham willingly. So I just booked it and got out of there as fast as I could. You're the only person I can trust.", I said looking up at him. He sighed heavily and led me down the hall.

"Well I'm not mad but you should go take a nice relaxing bath. You must be tired right?", he said pushing me into the bathroom.

"I guess.", I shrugged. I shut the bathroom door and turned the water on.

TUESDAY 11:29 PM

After my bath I checked my phone for any text messages, an unknown number was messaging me. I ignored it and set my phone down on the counter so that I could dry my hair. Right, when I was about to turn the blow dryer on the phone started to vibrate. On the screen again was that same unknown number. I pushed ignore and started to dry my hair. Moments later it rang again so I put the blow dryer down and answered.

"Hello?"

"Ignoring me? It hurts me to know I mean so little to you.", Edward cooed from the other side. I rolled my eyes.

"What do you want now? I met your friend, the guy with the nursery rhyme but I'm not going to live with you guys. Not after all that stuff you said when Batman took me away!"

"I already told you it was for your own protection! Stop being so immature about it and understand the circumstances, you'll never live a normal life. Your own mother...well your own guardian I should say lied to you for years, I mean how much do you think she's been keeping from you? Hmm?"

"It's none of your concern! Now leave me alone, I just want to forget all of this!", I hissed before hanging up. There was a knock at the door.

"L are you okay?", Richard asked from the other side.

"Yeah!", I answered. After that, I heard him walk away and I went back to drying my hair. I turned my phone off to make sure the Riddler kept his distance, tracking my location and coming to see me was going to get him nowhere. After I made sure all of my hair was nice and dry I walked out into the bedroom to find Richard with a bowl of popcorn.

"Movie?", he asked. I threw my wet towel at him, which he caught with his free hand, and took the popcorn. I sat down on his bed and threw a few kernels in my mouth.