Chapter 9

I yawn as Mrs. Hamburgh goes on and on about some equation I can't even begin to understand. I try to catch Rick's eye, but he seems to be focused on the board in front of him. Since I missed our date he hasn't spoken to me. He hasn't even returned my texts. I guess I can't blame him. I would have been just as upset if someone stood me up. Sure, I would have been fine if I heard the situation the other person was in, but since I can't tell him there is no way that I can explain to him why I didn't show. And at least he isn't being an outright asshole. He's only ignored me the whole of Sunday and now at school. Maybe he will talk to me at lunch. It's only second period now.

I try to concentrate on what Mrs. Hamsburgh is saying, but it is impossible to do between me staring at her hairy legs in a too short skirt and the tiredness that's threatening to overtake me.

I yawn again as a piece of paper falls on my desk.

I look at Mandy sitting behind me. She points at Rick who then suddenly turns around and looks at me, motioning with his eyes for me to pick up the piece of paper.

I take it and put it on my lap, unfolding the neatly folded paper and looking at the weirdly scribbled letters. It shocks me a little. Everything about Rick is so perfect. Why would he have such a bad handwriting?

I don't get why you stood me up. I thought there was a spark between us. Did I come on too strong?

I look up at him and he nods, making his curls fall forward onto his forehead.

I put the page back onto the table and start writing.

Something big came up. Family drama. Forgot about everything. I'm sorry. Please forgive me? I also felt the spark.

I fold the paper and hand it back to Mandy. I watch as it travels via a few hands to get back to Rick's desk where he takes it and unfolds it in his lap.

He keeps it on his lap and writes on it again. I am pretty sure thanks to his lap the message would definitely be unreadable. When it comes back it's actually neater than the previous message.

Break time. Drama class. It's always empty first break.

I nod at Rick, giving him a thumbs up before returning my view to the front of the class where Mrs. Hamburgh is still humming on about the same equation I am sure almost nobody in class is getting.

By the time she gets to the third sum and I am ready to fall out of my chair and sleep on the floor the bell finally rings and we pack up to move out of her class to our next period class.

"What was this weekend all about? You didn't answer me? And why did your mom drop you off at school?" Mandy asks in my ear as we walk down the hallway, making out way to biology class.

"Long story. Not living with Aunt Barbara anymore," I answer in a whisper. I have no idea where Rick is. He's not taking biology with us, but he could potentially still be somewhere around, ready to hear what I am telling Mandy.

"So you guys finally got your own place?" she asks as I pick up the pace, trying to get as much ground between us and math class.

"Something like that. I will fill you in second break. I need to meet Rick first break in the drama classroom," I say almost running ahead of everyone else to get to biology.

"Slow down!" Mandy hisses at me, trying her best to keep up with me, but just like me she is actually allergic to anything to do with exercise so she is already out of breath without the motivation I have to get to the other side of the school.

I slow down a bit, confident that I have put enough space between Rick and me.

"What did the letter say?" Mandy asks. I pull the letter out of my jackets pocket and give it to her, watching her open it and read it.