Chapter 12

"I can't believe you don't really like movies either," I say to Patrick as he falls down on his bed, leaving me to look around the room, deciding to sit down on the chair in front of his desk.

"It's weird actually. Everyone kinda just expects you to like watching movies all day long, especially if their father is a director... I just can't," Patrick says. "I'd rather watch a documentary if I have to watch something to be honest. Or read a book, although I prefer reading non-fiction."

"What are you reading at the moment?" I ask as I scan Patrick's room.

His room is filled with a mixture of antiques, like an old record player, and off course much more modern stuff like his rose gold desk lamp. Even his bedding is a little weird for a teenager. Everything is white, which does kind off suit the blue walls.

"Clinton's biography," he says, pointing to his bedside table where Bill's face stares back at me, making me feel just a bit uncomfortable. My dad always voted for the conservative party. For some reason he could not stand the democrats.

"So you're a democrat?" I ask.

"Not sure actually," Patrick says as he pushes himself upright on the bed, his wavy hair falling into his face. "I've always been a bit more liberal, but who knows? I'll let you know one I have read up some more about it."

"So you do like politics?" I ask raising my eyebrow. I cannot imagine anyone wanting to read about politics all the time.

"I like history. Politics is just a big part of it," he says with a grin. "I am still deciding between studying politics or history when I go to college. I just haven't decided yet. It would be cool to be a senator, but I think it would also be awesome to teach history in schools."

"I can't see you doing either of those," I mutter trying not to meet Patrick's eyes.

"Then what would you have me do?" Patrick asks, curling his lip into a smile. "Something like my dad?"

"No... That's not what I mean... I think I just have this idea that teachers and senators are old... And you are. Well, senators aren't usually hot," I say feeling the red blush creep up my face, staining my face which I am sure Patrick will notice as well.

"You think I'm hot?" he says sitting up on his bed completely, looking me straight in the eyes. If I lean forward far enough our lips would be able to meet. I can almost count his eye lashes from here... Almost.

"Maybe," I answer trying to avoid his eyes as well as the butterflies that seem to be doing cartwheels in my stomach.

"You're too cute you know," he says as he bursts out laughing, falling back onto his bed, and then turning to face me. "I know Mandy is trying to set us up. I know she pushed you at the coffee shop."

Now there was no end to the red creeping up all over my face, threatening to burn of my skin with it.

"She's... She's weird," I say looking away, searching for anything my eyes can lock with other than his mocking face. I find a small picture of Harry Styles in a frame.

"You like Harry Styles?" I ask, getting up and walking over to the picture, noticing the signature at the bottom.

"I went to see one of his shows a while back. My dad made sure that I could meet him," Patrick says from his bed.

"Is he nice?" I ask.

Patrick shrugs and turns on his back, looking at the ceiling. "Probably as nice as you can be to someone you've met for five minutes."

"You don't seem fazed about it. I would've totally fangirled," I answer, walking back to my chair and sitting down.

"I'm just not interested in things like that. Fame... Power... My dad lives in another world. His head is always in some sci-fi screenplay he's writing or adapting some alien book into a movie. I don't want to be like that. A world like that is an illusion. I want something real," Patrick answers. There's almost something bitter in his voice, but I can't quite put my finger on it.