~Chapter 3~

"Who are you!" the guard in front of me asked sternly as he lifted the visor of his helmet, the screeching from the rubbing metal made me cringe.

"No one." I simply replied, angering him, frustration clear in his eyes.

"I'll give you one more chance miss, who are you!" He put a hand on the hilt of his sword.

"Like I said, no one important." I think I made him really mad as he had proceeded to drawing a knife from his belt.

"You're gonna be real sorry for speaking like that to me. A girl like you shouldn't have such an impudent attitude," he said raising his knife to strike at me.

Many people gathered around to investigate the commotion and few whispers and murmurs could be heard in the crowd. Probably thinking this was going to end up being a public execution, I saw women remove their children from the scene. The guard brought the blade down at me as I threw my arm in front of me for protection. The dragon scale arm guards prevented the sharpened, deadly blade from penetrating my flesh.

The crowd, frozen in shock, simply stared at the rather unexpected sight. Even the guards were stuck, unable to proceed with this failed execution. Taking this as an opportunity of escape, I stood up and attempted to make a run for it when the first guard snapped out of his dase. Quick as lightning, he grabbed me by the arm and shoulder before ordering the guard to his right to tie my hands. "You're not going anywhere, spy," he said with hatred in his voice.

"Spy, what are you talking about?" I asked, confused as ever.

"You're from the Spring Valley, aren't you. The only one dressed like this in the entire High Kingdom and you expect to blend in," the tallest guard said. He must have been about a foot and a half taller than me.

Nonetheless, I answered with complete honesty which didn't get me very far. "No, I believe you have the wrong person if you're looking for a spy from the Spring Valley." The tall guard looked angry and likewise, he wanted to kill me on the spot.

"We shall have her put in the dungeon. The king can decide what we'll do with her," the guard still holding me said, his grip a bit tight as his words only angered him more hearing them out loud.

I cringed as shivers ran down my spine as the guard's foul breath hit my neck. It made me feel nauseous, sick, and disgusted, you know, all the bad feelings. If his breath didn't make me lose my lunch, then the abrupt jolt when he pulled me away would have done it if not for the dragon berries I ate earlier which will help you keep your food down.

The guard untied my wrists and literally threw me into the barred, horse drawn wagon. The floor of the wagon was splintered and slowly rotting in some places. The bars were rusted and one of the wheels seemed to be off balance which I noticed as the horse began walking along the street. This was turning out to be a rather unpleasant day, getting accused of spying and ending up in a dungeon, probably on hold for execution.

It was absolutely humiliating, watching people stop and stare at me as I was carted away toward the castle. All eyes were on me, their awkward stares felt like my mother's soul burning spell. If I used magic right now, they would kill me instantly, but if I stayed put, it would only be a matter of time before they decided to execute me. I don't know what's worse at this point, aside from the uncomfortable feeling of a rickety old cart and side glances of civilians, I think the guard's nauseating breath was the worst. Ugh, just thinking about it brings back the nasty feelings.

"She's a spy, I knew the Spring Valley was up to something!" the guard steering the cart said.

Alright, that pushed it! "For the last time, I'm not a spy!" I yelled at them, annoyance in my voice.

"Shut it back there!" he yelled.

I'd had just about enough of this, false accusation, public humiliation, and probably death to come.

I can break you out, just tell me when. I hear Ananta's voice in me head.

No, you need to stay out of sight before they kill you too. I'm gonna see if I can make a run for it when they take me to the dungeon. Don't worry, I'm not going to die, not today at least. My words going to Ananta.

I'll be hovering in the sky waiting for you then. Ananta's words made this awful ride a bit less hard to endure.

The bumps and jolts of the cart over uneven cobblestone roads got more annoying over what seemed like hours, probably just minutes, but the dread of what was to come was almost unbearable. The guards blabbered on forever and that guard's breath somehow made it into the air of which I was down wind of making me choke and gag the whole ride.

After what seemed like an eternity, a huge, no, enormous castle came into view. Large, pale colored stones made up the outer walls of the vast building while iron gates closed off all entrances. Maybe my escape plan will have to change. Making a run for it is no longer an option in these circumstances.

The castle was magnificently decorated, the outer walls with crystal glass windows and royal banners hung by each entrance. Flags waved at the top of each turret while fresh vegetation covered the grounds bellow.

The cart tilted in the road letting me know I was still in a barred crate being taken to the dungeon. The cart rolled along another road which I assume lead down to the lower entrance. I only know castle layouts from the few fairy tale books I had back home.

As we neared the end of the path, shadows were cast upon us as the high towers of the castle blocked out the sun. The stench of sewers and mild drifted through the air making it hard to breath, though, to my surprise, was a bit more pleasant than the guard's malodorous breath which was still lodged in my nose.

"Captured spy from the Spring Valley," the tall guard stated as we passed security.

Being that I have been called a spy four times today, I had just about enough of it. "For the last time, I'm not a spy so you can shut up and stop making false accusations!" I yelled.

"No one asked you!" the security guard said sternly. "So shut up you insolent girl," he spat at me.

We stopped at the barred entrance of the dungeon and the guards opened the lopsided door of the cart. The tall one grabbed my arms and yanked me out as if my arms were unable of being pulled apart at my elbows. Painful as it was, I couldn't say anything else. They tied the rope to my wrists again and we started the slow descent into the dark and damp prison. The father down the stairs we traveled, the air got thicker and colder until I was visibly shivering. Water dripped and echoed through the long stone corridors until we made it to the bottom. There were only a couple of torches which were burning low and the smell of rotting flesh made me gag again. The ceilings were low and bits of moss hung from the cracks here and there. A guard who had been on watch opened a cell and the tall guard shoved me and locked the metal chained cuffs to my wrists after untying me.

The cell was small and the floor was wet in some places. Even spiders wouldn't come down here as the place was clean of webs. Still, the whole dark and eerie mood sent shivers down my spine though my whole body was shaking from the cold at this point.

"The king will decide your fate," he said before mumbling something that sounded like he wished he could kill me himself but I wasn't good at deciphering muffled voices. With that, he exited and slammed the thick, iron lined door which hit the frame with a loud bang.