~Chapter 18~

Light from the tall, floor to ceiling windows shone on the grey stones of a long corridor. The glass cast ribbons of rainbows across the floor and up the wall. I was looking through someone's eyes again. The same person. They brushed their fingers along the stones and then along the smooth surface of a long, dark, wooden table. Unlit candles sat at both ends.

A few more paces down, a beautiful tapestry hung from the wall. The threads shone with vibrant colors woven into a castle overlooking a small town. I didn't get a good look at the picture and I couldn't stop the woman from walking.

A young serving girl passed through the hallway and gave a small curtsey as she walked by. I felt the woman nod and smile in return.

The way the hall was decorated, I'd guessed I was in the house of a rich family. As the woman continued walking, she passed a couple of expensive-looking paintings in gold frames and another table with unlit candles. Noting how everything gleamed in the sunlight from the polished stones to the golden frames, I began to think this was more than just a fancy house.

She stopped by one of the windows and traced the edge of the glass pane. I admired the rings on the woman's delicate, pale fingers. The one on her fourth finger stole my attention. It was beautifully crafted. Made of two thin, intertwined bands of gold. Three small diamonds were embedded in the carefully bent crevices of the ring. It was a ring she would never take off.

But she had taken it off.

She had taken it off years ago. Because the woman standing in the reflection of the window was my mother.

I awoke with a jolt and sat up in my bed. Mother. My mother. I had been looking through her eyes. Sweat coated my whole body as I remembered what I had seen in the glass. She looked younger and more alive. There had been a genuine smile on her face as she looked out over whatever lay beyond the window. I hadn't gotten a good look at the landscape outside before I woke up.

What was my mother doing in my dreams? Where had she been? Had she really been in that house or was it my subconscious imagination? Questions. So many questions ran through my thoughts.

***

Another arrow sunk into the bark of a half-charred tree. My fingers burned from pulling back on the bowstring for hours. I hadn't said a word since I woke up this morning. My dream still rattled me and the image of my mother standing in the reflection of the window hadn't left my mind.

Is everything okay? You're awfully quiet. Rivit sat next to me with a mouth full of arrows.

I took the arrows and put them back in the quiver. Honestly, no. I shot another arrow.

Are you going to shoot arrows all day? Rivit bounded to the far end of the clearing to retrieve my arrows again. Don't you have something better to do? Maybe go see that other human. Ananta says you see him every week.

Brendan! I had completely forgotten that I was supposed to check for Gillorn! I dashed across the clearing and pulled out the remaining arrows. I can't believe I forgot about Brendan! Thank you for reminding me. It wasn't quite midday yet. I could still make it before Brendan gave up on waiting. That was if he even needed anything from me today.

My wings shot out of a cloud of smoke and I took off with a running start. Rivit hurried after me as I raced toward the rolling hills. Can you take my bow and quiver back to the house? We were nearing the river so I passed my belongings to Rivit who took them in his mouth. Thank you. Rivit turned back the way we came as I continued toward the lone tree in the valley.

When I landed, Gillorn was waiting next to the tree, peacefully grazing on the lush, green grass. The golden embroidery on his saddle blanket shone in the late morning sun. There was another note tied to his saddle with Brendan's artistic handwriting.