~Chapter 10~

I walked along the much worn path I had made from pushing through the underbrush over the years and then, by using magic, fully cleared it last year. No one had really used it except for me of course but it had come to serve as my way to the river.

It was blustery and with it came the cool beginnings of fall, the wind blowing at my black cloak. My short sleeve shirt had been replaced by a black one with longer sleeves and my vest for one with fur lining for warmth. I wore dark grey pants and my tall black boots that came just to my knees, perfect for a walk in early autumn.

Sunlight gleamed through the canopy of the early morning as soft leaves crunched beneath my feet. The chilly wind blew in my hair when I neared the river. Ananta has stayed behind today, to stubborn to leave on a day like this, staying by the fire in the living room while I ventured through the woods.

The river was running clear and fast, occasionally spraying water when it hit the rocky side to my right. Across the river, the hills rolled casting long, flowing shadows across the land. Waving my hand, flat rocks raised from the river, a sort of bridge to hop across. Half way along the wet rocks, I heard the sound of a horse. I quickened my pace, still careful not to fall as I stepped of the last rock and began running toward the sound.

In the clearing beside a steep slope, a horse stood, tied to a loan tree drinking water from the small pond to its left. It was a beautiful white stallion, with a neatly groomed mane and coat. A black leather saddle sat on a ruby red saddle blanket. A black bridle and reins accompanied the set, all embellished with gold lining along the edges. The Spring Valley royal emblem with the tower and hills was pressed into a gold circle, embedded into the horse's breast collar.

This was a palace horse from the Spring Valley which could only mean one thing. Brendan. Probably the most self-centered person the kingdom had ever seen. Of course, he was a prince, but that only added to his already inflated ego. We made a deal several years ago when I ran into him at this very spot. I was twelve and knew every living thing in the forest while he was a bratty thirteen year old who got on my nerves quickly. He had been looking for some rare plant that he had promised to find for one of his subjects. I had laughed at him for thinking he could find it and agreed to help him if he did something for me in return. That was the start of our tradeoff deal. He left a horse there when he needed something from me with instructions and I would meet him to get my end of the bargain. Even for a guy like him, he always came through. The tag, tied to the horse's bridle read 'the old stone bridge', the letters written in his neat handwriting.

"Hello there," I said reaching to untie the reigns. The horse, Gillorn, stepped closer to greet me as I turned around with the reins in hand. Brendan had always left the same horse, who, in my opinion, seemed to have an understanding of what was going on. I stroked his neck and brought the reins over his head after adjusting the stirrups. "Come on Gillorn, off to the old stone bridge," I said and mounted him. He took off with a slight tap of my foot.

I made a bridge from an old fallen tree by the water, morphing it into a sturdy platform that spanned across the river. Keeping in the shade was nicer, even though it was cold, the trees blocked the glare from the sun. I rode deeper into the forest, mostly to admire the scenery, but to look for the old path, worn from old travelers before the Flaming Forest became abandoned by humans a few centuries ago. No one from the kingdoms would dare venture far along the path I was taking, nor would anyone even thing of it.

Sun poured in through the gaps in the leaves as my cloak flapped in the wind that hit my face and rushed through my hair. Gillorn seemed unaffected by the cold as he continued to run along the path toward the bridge. At the edge of the forest, the old stone bridge came into view. A beautiful black mare with similar tack, save for the saddle blanket which was a deep blue with the same gold lining, stood to the side.