~Chapter 12~

Darkness engulfed my body. I couldn't see a thing. I heard voices, from a man and a woman. A baby cried as the woman soothingly tried to hush it. The man yelled at her with anger and rage. His words were harsh and each one hit me hard. Every word emphasized, reverberating in my head. Get out, go, leave, the words echoed, repeating over and over. The man yelled, "You are hereby banned from The High Kingdom, and I shall see to it that you will never return!"

Morning came with a jolt as Ananta dug her claws into my arm to wake me up. Not enough to go through my skin, but enough to snap me out of my nightmare. I slipped my green shirt and vest on while Ananta clumsily walked over to the other end of my room to fetch my boots. The sun was barely up but the smell of charred wood and dragonberries was a reminder of my task.

I'm sorry you can't come today Ananta, but Brendan doesn't need to see you. I felt bad for leaving Ananta out, but it would be too risky to let her tag along. Why don't you go visit Rivit. I'm sure he would love to share yesterday's adventures with you.

What did you do Novia? Ananta cocked her head and looked me straight in the eyes. She looked and sounded like my mother.

I taught Zeron a lesson. I was in a hurry to find Gillorn by the tree and ran to the roof as Ananta chased after me with questions. Just ask Rivit, he'll give you the fascinating details. Dashing across the wooden beam, I vaulted over the chimney and extended my wings.

Traveling by air was definitely faster, weaving through trees and under arched roots. The sun was up and the sky was clear, no way to hide above clouds. The early autumn leaves fell, blanketing the forest floor like a collage of warm colors. It was truly a remarkable sight. The river came into view a couple hundred yards in front and the faint sound of rushing water hit my ears. Spray from the rocks that laid in the river splashed upward in my face as I dragged my fingertips through the clear water. It was refreshing. Past several hills, Gillorn stood waiting by the tree. Landing a few feet from the tree, Gillorn looked at me and backed away.

"Easy boy, it's just me," I said and retracted my wings. Upon realizing who I was, Gillorn calmed down and rested his head on my shoulder while I untied his reigns. I could tell he was eager to get going as he moved his hooves restlessly.

We rode quickly down a long, winding path farther into the forest than yesterday. The trees were denser and lush greenery blanketed the ground. Flames scaled the sides of tree trunks and scorched long branches above us. Small embers from burnt leaves floated to the ground giving the woods a warm glow in the early autumn morning.

Gilorn seemed unaffected by the fire and warm air surrounding us as he galloped down the narrow path where the bridge lay just barely in my view. Brendan's black mare stamped her hoof, clicking her horseshoe against the stone. The obnoxious prince, however, was nowhere in sight.

I dismounted and tied Gillorn to the stake in the side of the bridge. I greeted Brendan's horse. "Do you know where he is?" I asked, stroking the side of her neck. She shook her head and looked over the ledge. I heard footsteps crunching on the small pebbles and Brendan poked his head out from the shade beneath the stone arch. He climbed up the side of the river bank and jumped onto the bridge. I put a fake smile on as I waited for him.

"Do you have them?" he asked intently, getting straight to the point, not even bothering to say hello. My smile faded back into a straight face, not amused by his

"Pleasure to see you too," I said through gritted teeth.

"Right, I'm still working on that. It's good to see you again Novia." Brendan straightened his scarlet red jacket and gave a slight bow. I returned the gesture, fighting the urge to say something rude, deciding to be the bigger person.