Saying Goodbye

I walked home in the rain, once again, my clothes getting soaked, along with my hair. I walked up the stairs to my home in Brooklyn, unlocking the door and stepping inside. I could hear the tv going, the only light from the tv, I slowly walked up the stairs, but they made a sound and I cursed.

"What took you so long?" My mother's slurred voice reached my ears, I slowly walked back down the stairs and into the living room.

"I couldn't catch a cab, so I had to walk home." I told her, her emotionless hazel eyes looking at me.

"Why are you so wet?" She asked, brushing past me, hitting my shoulder as she passed and into the kitchen.

"It's raining outside, mother." I looked down at my fingernails, not meeting her eyes. I could hear the beer bottles clinking against one another. She walked passed me, again, hit my shoulder, again, and sat down on the couch.

"Get dried, do your chores, make dinner and do whatever you want after that. I don't give a fuck." She said, sipping her Bud Light and watching the tv. I ran into my room, changing into a black long sleeve shirt, black sports bra, red and white plaid pajama bottoms and brown slippers. I did the dishes, folded and took care of the laundry, and made chicken parmesan for dinner. I handed my mother her plate, grabbed mine and ran back to my room, locking the door.

A sudden thump had startled me awake, I looked at the clock on my nightstand and saw it was three in the morning. I must've fallen asleep while working in my math. I placed my books back in my bag, another thump made me jump and look at my door. I quickly grabbed my phone, unlocking it and dialed my aunt's number. It rang a few times, until her tired voice answered it.

"Mackenzie? What's wrong?" She asked.

"I think someone's in the house." I said, I slowly opened my door, just a crack though.

"Did your mom invite anymore over?" Aunt Olivia asked.

"No, no one. She was drinking when I came home from school." I told her, I then opened the door fully, looking down the hallway. "Mom's door is open, her violin music is playing."

"Mack, listen to me, do not leave your room. Do you hear me?" She said, I could hear rustling in the background. I wasn't listening to her, I had placed my phone down at my side, and walking closer to my mother's bedroom. I pushed the white door open, what I saw made my blood run cold, my heart stop and a scream erupt from my throat.

"Mackenzie! Mackenzie!" Olivia's voice reached my ears, I saw her run towards me, as I sat on the steps of my home, a male police officer keeping me company. She kneeled down to look into my eyes, her hands cupped my face, tears falling down my face. "Talk to me honey, talk to me."

"I-I woke up from a sound in the house, I called you, because I thought there was someone in the house." My voice started cracking. "I pushed mom's door open and saw her body hanging from the ceiling fan, I-I just froze. Auntie Liv, I couldn't do anything!" I cried harder, she pulled me to her chest, as I gripped onto her.

Three months passed since my mother hanged herself, people say it was because she was depressed, but it was because of me. I found out two nights later that I am the product of a rape, my mother's rape. Everyone who knew my mother kept it secret from me, she had asked them to, until I was 18. Social Services wanted to put me in a foster home, but my Aunt Olivia took me in and has fed me and clothed me for the past three months.

I walked into the SVU building, waving at some of the cops and Detectives, sitting at my aunt's desk. I got my book out, putting my reading glasses on and read while I waited for her.

"Hey, Mack." I looked up to see Detective Munch and Eliot, my aunt's partner.

"Hey, guys. What's up?" I asked, putting my book down and smiling up at them.

"Boring day on the job, the usual." Munch said, I smirked. Eliot then placed a can of Coke in front of me. I thanked him and downed the drink, belching as I finished. They both chuckled, sitting at their desks and doing their thing.

"Mackenzie Clark?" A voice said, I turned to be faced with a S.S employee and an older couple. Eliot walked to my right side, slightly shielding me.

"Yeah, that's me." I said, the older woman smiled with tears in her eyes.

"You are our granddaughter!" She walked towards me, but I backed off, Eliot between myself and her. "Excuse me, I am her grandmother and I will hold my granddaughter!"

"Lady, I don't even know you!" I said.

"What's going on?" I turned to see Aunt Olivia, I rushed towards her, her arms wrapping around me.

"This is Edward and Edith Clark, Emily Clark's parents and Mackenzie's grandparents. And in Emily Clark's will, her parents are the sole caretakers of her twelve-year-old daughter." The S.S. person said, I clung onto my aunt.

"No, I'm not going with them. Where were they for three months?! Hell, where were they for the past 12 years?!" I said, clinging onto her tighter.

"Either you come with us willingly, or we can take you and never let your aunt have visits." The S.S person said. I looked at my aunt, she looked down at me and cupped my face in her hands.

"I don't want you living with anymore trauma in your life, go and live with your grandparents. Get away from New York and the things that have happened." She whispered to me, tears fell from her eyes and mine. I hugged her tightly and closely, never wanting to let her go.

"I wish you were my mother." I whispered to her, I looked back up at her, the S.S gently taking my arm and pulling me towards Edward and Edith. I wouldn't break my contact with Olivia, tears still falling and my heart breaking. I got in the car with my grandparents, Olivia was outside, watching as the car faded away. Little did I know my grandparents were taking me to Ireland, where my mother was born and raised. I never saw my Aunt or New York for ten years.