Ten Years Later

I walked out of JFK airport, the early autumn wind blowing my hair in every direction. I pulled out my phone seeing it was 4:30pm, my roommate was expecting me by 5, I waved down a taxi, one pulled over and took me to the Brownstone I'm going to be living in. I paid the man, grabbed my suitcase and walked inside, I was met with a Maine coon cat.

"Ashely! I'm here!" I called out, I herd footsteps in the kitchen and my roommate and best friend appeared from the doorway.

"Yay! I'm so happy you're here! I know you're happy to get away from your grandparents, trust me, I know." She said, we laughed, walking into the kitchen and she opened a bottle of red wine, pouring both of us a glass.

"You can say that again. Ten years I've waited to get off that damn island and away from those over-protective guardians. I mean, I love them, but not the love I have for my Aunt Olivia." I told her, Ashley perked up and gave me a scrapbook.

"Open it!" She giggled, sipping her wine. I opened it and saw the achievements of my aunt from the past ten years. She's the lieutenant at SVU, is a mother and the most highly decorative police officer in the state of New York. I smiled as I skimmed through the newspaper adds and drank the wine.

"Wow, I'm so proud of her. I'm going to go see her in the morning, telling her I'm never leaving again." I told Ashley, she giggled and grabbed the scrapbook.

"Now, you put your things away, get dressed in comfy pajamas and come back down. We're watching scary movies.'" She wiggled her eyebrows at me, I rolled my eyes, putting my things away and getting dressed in a white long sleeve shirt, thigh high pink and purple plaid shorts and white slippers. Ashely put on 'Cult of Chucky', made popcorn and poured more wine.

The next morning I got dressed(photo at bottom) grabbed my phone and walked to the new 16th precinct. I picked up a coffee for my aunt, a hot chocolate for me and some blueberry muffins. When I walked in there, a blonde haired female detective approached me.

"Can I help you, hun?" She asked, her voice with a southern accent.

"Oh, um, I'm here to see Lieutenant Benson, she's my aunt." I said.

"Mackenzie Clark?" I looked up to see Munch, he hasn't changed a bit in the passed ten years.

"Munch? is that really you?" I said, he nodded and smiled.

"The one and only." I placed my things down on a desk and hugged him. "Let me look at you." He lightly spun me around, getting a good look at me. "Wow, you've grown into the young and beautiful woman I knew you'd become."

"Thank you, Munch. Is Aunt Liv here, I want to catch up." I asked, looking around.

"Not yet, why don't you and I catch up while we wait in her office, huh?" He suggest, I nodded, grabbing my things and heading into Aunt Liv's office with Munch. We sat down on the couch, near the window, a goofy smile on my face. "How have you been these passed ten years?"

"I've been okay, messing up a few times here and there, but nothing major, ya know." I said, taking a deep sigh and leaning my head on my closed fist.

"What do you mean, 'messing up a few times'?" Munch asked, I crossed my arms and shrugged my shoulders.

"When I was a sophomore in high school, back in Ireland, a kid grabbed my backside. I turned around and broke his nose. Then I broke a girl's wrist when she called me a slut and an unwanted child." My eyes were hot with tears, I sniffled and chuckled. "Eliot would've been proud of me, all those self defense lessons paid off." I then looked around the squad room, Munch being the only familiar face.

"Eliot put in his papers five years ago, there was a problem that happened here in the squad room and really shook El." Munch placed a hand on my shoulder, giving it a light squeeze. "I know he would've been proud, hell, I am." We laughed, Munch is like the fun and jokester uncle everyone has, he's definitely someone I can confide in.

"Mackenzie?" I looked towards the door and saw Liv standing in the doorway, her eyes filled with surprise.

"Hey Auntie Liv, long time no see, huh?" I said, chuckling. She placed her bag on her desk and immediately pulling me into a hug, Munch had left to give us some time to catch up. We talked for an hour, maybe an hour and 20 minutes.

"I would love to keep talking, Mack, but I need to get back to work. And you need to stay out of trouble!" She said, hugging me once more and looking me up and down. "You really have grown so much, sweetheart."

"I know, Munch said the same thing. How about I treat you and Noah to a fancy dinner on Friday night? I want to get to know my baby cousin." I said, she nodded, smiling. I gave her my number, the restaurant name and where I lived, in case she needed me to watch Noah someday.

I walked out of the precinct, smiling like an idiot and loving the American air. I haven't smiled and felt so calm since I left New York, and to finally see the one person I loved and missed the most in ten years. This day couldn't get any better.

Airport outfit:

Ashley:

Outfit to precinct:

Outfit to precinct: