Bike Rides

"Tell me again why we are doing this?" Izzy groaned looking at the object before her with a certain degree of fear.

"It's a human thing; I thought it looked like fun." Drew chuckled at his wife's expression, squeezing her hips slightly to nudge her towards the bike.

"Watching a film is fun, baking a cake is fun, sleeping is fun. All of these things do not require physical activity yet you pick this contraption with which to have fun."

"I can think of some other physical activities that are fun if you want." Drew winked at her suggestively before clambering onto the bike and sitting on the handle bars.

"Mr Hilarious, you aren't doing it right." Izzy informed him whilst fastening her helmet and sitting on the saddle of her own bike.

With a humph Drew, rather gracelessly, dismounted the handle bars and managed to position himself correctly on the bike.

"You aren't seriously going to wear that helmet are you?"

"Of course, this way if I get distracted by your muscles on show in front of me then I won't get brain damage when I fall off." Izzy replied with a wink of her own before she cautiously put a foot onto a pedal and pushed off from the ground.

Drew sensed that he had just entered into a dangerous situation.

On entering his chambers he noted several things, firstly, the windows were all wide open allowing the torrential rain from the gale outside to flow freely into the room. Secondly, several objects such as a vase, a mirror and various accoutrements of glassware were on the floor, now shattered. Finally Izzy was curled up in the middle of the broken remains sobbing.

Yes, this was a very dangerous situation.

Not knowing what had upset Izzy or what exactly had happened in the room, Drew's first thought was that there must have been an intruder. Why else would someone destroy their bedroom and leave his wife weeping on the floor.

"Did someone break in? Are you hurt?" Unconsciously asking two very different questions Drew flinched slightly when Izzy, startled at his loud voice, jolted back and had to put her hand directly onto the broken glass to stop herself from falling. No verbal reply came from Isabelle; in fact the only response was the rapid shake of her head, but this alone managed to have a chilling effect when combined with the distraught look in her eyes.

If this mess had not been caused by another then did Izzy cause it herself?

Drew's mind raced as he tried to think up an explanation for this sudden emotion. Concluding that trying to understand a situation from a female perspective was never a wise thing to attempt, Drew settled for not saying anything just yet. Cautiously he made his way towards Izzy, his shoes crunching against the shards of glass. When he reached her he slowed his movement even more as he didn't wish to make the situation worse. Crouching down to her level he placed a gentle finger below her chin and nudged her face up so that he could see her expression. In the minutes that their eyes connected Drew felt everything. He felt the heartbreak, the agony, the loneliness, the confusion, the uncertainty and the grief. For the first time since she had come back he could tell what Izzy was thinking and it scared him.

It terrified him.

It took Drew a good five minutes to be able to fully absorb her emotions and collect his own thoughts before he was able to move again but he was shaken now, knocked by the sheer intensity of Izzy's feelings. Releasing her chin he shifted his weight so that he could lift her feather light body in a bridle style fashion and then he laid her onto the bed that was, thankfully, shard free.