Chapter 2

Chapter 2

  Choosing day, I've been waiting so long for this day.  I get out of bed and don't even bother to put on my normal uniform.  I throw on some pants and a tee shirt go head downstairs.  My mother and father are dressed neatly from head to toe as usual.  They look disgusted as I enter the room.  "Why aren't you dressed?" my dad asks in a stern voice.  "I am dressed" I respond.  "No son of mine will walk out of my house looking like that!"  he says as his face starts to go red.  "Well soon I'm not going to be part of this family, so it doesn't matter how I dress!"  I say feeling my face getting hot also.  "Well go then! Get out of here and don't come back!"  I grab my shoes and leave, slamming the door behind me.  I walk alone to the Hub, the tallest building in the city.  Twenty floors to the choosing ceremony.  I decide to take the stairs and then I see her.  Jeanine Matthews, leader of Erudite.  She comes towards me, "Pierce! right?" I nod "I didn't know you were choosing today."  She looks around, "where are your parents?"  I stare at her "they didn't come..."  She looks at me alarmed and then smiles "Well, good luck!"  I ignore her and keep moving.  By the time I reach the twentieth floor I'm exhausted.  I find a seat amongst the other Erudite and wait.  Name after name is called, one in particular catches my attention "Tobias Eaton", a boy, thin and drowning in Abnegation gray, walks up to the front.  He stands in front of the five bowls.  Gray stones for Abnegation, water for Erudite, earth for Amity, glass for Candor, and lit coals for Dauntless.  He takes the knife and draws blood from his hand.  He hesitates before holding his hand above the burning coals.  "Dauntless!" The room is silent.  Abnegation transfers are almost unheard of, but and Abnegation transfer to Dauntless is unthinkable.  Not to mention this boy is Marcus Eaton's son, the leader of Abnegation.  The boy takes his place amongst the Dauntless and I wait some more.

  "Eric Pierce!" then man calls out, I step foward, take the knife in hand.  I cut deep into the palm of my hand.  The blood is warm on my skin.  I hold my hand out over the coals and let the blood drop.  I smile as I hear the sizzle and the cheers from the Dauntless members.  I take my seat a couples chairs down from Tobias.  'I am free' I think as I tune out the rest of the remaining names.  The last choice has been made by an Amity girl, she chooses to stay in her faction.  The ceremony concludes and the Dauntless around me get up and begin to run.  I run with them, they start to climb, I follow climbing high about the streets.  I see the boy, Tobias, nervously grab the bars and starts slowly climbing up to the platform.  The Dauntless continue running in front of me, they are yelling and cheering.  I struggle to keep up with them, being from Erudite I'm not accustomed to running long distances.  A train comes up from behind us, the Dauntless start to jump, one after the other, onto the moving train.  I watch closely and follow suit.  Once on the train I start to relax.  I look around at the others in my car, some transfers and some Dauntless.  One of them catches my eye, a small, but strong looking blonde girl dressed in all black.  She's smiling and laughing with the other Dauntless in the car.  "Get ready!" one of them yells out.  The girl smiles and runs and jumps out of the car.  I get up and do the same.  I land hard on the gravel of a rooftop.  The Abnegation boy behind me, we walk up to a man standing on a ledge. 

  "Welcome to Dauntless!" the man smiles,  "my name is Amar!  We have a record this year, unsuprisingly"  The Dauntless around him let out shouts and pump their fists in the air.  "Now! the only way into the Dauntless compound from this rooftop is to jump," he grins "So! who wants to go first?"