Day 6

Fireflies

"Manik where are we going?" Nandini asked, impatiently. After their night shoot, Manik had insisted her to come along with him and Nandini gave in.

"We are going somewhere." Manik repeated the same answer yet again.

Nandini looked at him and let out a heavy breath. "And where is that somewhere?" Nandini crossed her arms around her chest, totally irked after hearing the same lines for the fifth time in a while.

"Just five more minutes and you will know." Manik said, his eyes fixed to the road. Nandini let out a sigh and made a grumpy face.

Just five minutes later, Manik hit the brake. "We are here."

Nandini looked out of the window, only to notice that they had stopped in front of a hall. "Manik don't tell me we are here to watch a movie."

"The hall is closed."

"Then what are we here for?" Nandini asked, confused. Manik just smiled and stepped out of the car. Nandini too followed him out.

Manik then miscalled someone, making Nandini even more confused.

Turning on the torch of his phone, he said, "Just come with me." He then held her hand and almost pulled her inside the dark corridor of the hall.

"Manik what are we going to do here?" Nandini could see nothing but darkness but still she followed him. He then pushed a door open and entered the room along with her.

Turning off the touch, he held her hand tightly. "Manik it's too dark here." She too tightened her hold on his hand. She took a step front but due to darkness she stumbled on the steps and ended up in Manik's arm.

Her heart shivered a bit on his touch but she let that feeling slip away.

"Careful Nandini." Manik said, making her stand still.

Right then the screen in front lit up with a steady flickery glow of light. It looked as though more than hundreds of stars were shining but no it wasn't starlight. Nandini looked at it closely and it then clicked her that those were fireflies.

Nandini looked above and saw the light of projector coming from a small window. She knew it was a projected image but she found it beautiful. She smiled looking at the screen.

She kept on looking at the glowing screen, smiling to herself. Manik looked at her and saw her smiling. That was all he needed, her smile.

Nandini slowly turned her gaze towards him. "Amms told me you love fireflies. So I wanted to show you fireflies for real but in the middle of this chilling winter that wasn't possible." Manik said, softly.

"But I loved this." Nandini said softly with a smile on her face. She smiled for real after such a long time. Nandini moved a little aside and sat on the seat. Manik too sat beside her, holding her hand.

"You know my mum always said fireflies are the secret messengers of love and whenever there is true love, it will glow." Nandini smiled wistfully, remembering her mum. "I loved it when stars and fireflies seemed almost the same. They always made me smile."

Manik looked at her and tightened his hold on her hand, assuring her that he was there.

"Don't worry. I am fine." Nandini looked at him with a soft smile. 

Manik too smiled. "In darkness, just like the stars these fireflies resemble light. They make us believe that magic exist." Manik paused. "So don't worry Nandini darkness is not forever. Believe in these fireflies. Believe in your mum. And live for these fireflies.

Nandini looked in front of the screen. She knew he was right and she knew her life was slowly getting back on the track.

"You never know Nandini someday these fireflies might glow for you and your true love."