Chapter One - A Tale of old

It's okay, little one. Rest for tonight and every night you can. For soon you have a quest you were destined to do. A path was set for you even before destiny knew it would be you.

If I could stop the hardships that are soon to fall on your shoulder I would. You are my child. Of course I wouldn't want it to be you. The powers that be shouldn't put the sake of the world on your soul. But we can't control that sort of thing and never will be able to. So for now listen to my story and sleep well.

***

Long before our ancestors or their ancestors existed there was no magic.

Yes, I know, how can a world without magic exist? I find it hard to believe myself.

A boy was born with power. Not magical power of any kind. Power back then was measured in wealth and political standing, and he had more wealth than most of the planet inhabitants together. Too much to ever be fair.

While millions died of starvation and brutality this boy went to classes, had parties, and ate food that would be against the law for any one else where to eat it. He was blind to the pain everyone but him suffered.

He grew to an adult with an expectation of the world. An expectations that the people would give him what he wants and let him do whatever he wanted as well. Most would be mistaken, even those who grew up the same as he did.

This boy was the only one who was not wrong. Through deceiving and bribery he manipulated the kingdom he lived in and forced those in power to believe he'd be their savior. That he'd fix all their problems. Or rather, what they viewed as problems. So he eventually became their leader despite the majority of the people being strongly against this.

For some time it almost seemed he could fix those false problems to those willing to be blind. He hid his true motives behind money, outrageous claims, horrid behavior, and the bare minimum. He seemed too stupid for some grand scheme, really.

That's where they were wrong. He forced the leaders of the land that were under him to no longer do their jobs multiple times just because he couldn't get what he wanted. The entire land was left without the pillars it was built on and in time it crumbled.

Not to the surprise of the majority of the people, the man broke his promises. He did more than break them, actually. He broke the laws of the land for his own selfish needs. Using power he wasn't supposed to have, he sent the kingdom into a state that forced them to give him what he wanted.

They didn't have enough of what he wanted and more than half the people refused to give even a fraction. A civil war was ignited within mere months. It split the land apart and put families against each other.

Even factions of their military split. Some loyal to their leaders no matter their moral standpoint and some some more loyal to the people. They used their own fire power against themselves.

The land was sent into anarchy and dismay. Other kingdoms saw the land known for their military power dissolve into a mass of fire and savages. They grew scared, cocky, or greedy and took action before it was too late.

They were too late in the end. In the confusion and an attempt to subdue the situation, the man had used his influence to convince the leaders under him to hate everyone who was different or against him. They were why the land was like this now. Those who didn't agree, looked different, or acted differently were at fault. They believed him.

This lead to the murder of hundreds, then thousands, and so forth. First within his own kingdom but when other world leaders decided he couldn't do this anymore he stroke back. With the world divided like his kingdom he took over those against him or murdered them. The numbers of deaths were in the millions.

But millions were nothing in comparison to what was to follow. Weapons of mass destruction used to exist. He had more than enough to kill whole kingdoms in a day. But he didn't until one decided to attack with their own weapons of mass distractions.

That's when the planets death toll soon cut at the billions threshold. The man didn't care anymore. He didn't even want anything any more. Overwhelmed with power, all he wanted now was to watch the world burn. And burn it did.

The weapons of mass destruction poisoned the air and the Earth. It wasn't biased to just people. It killed animals and plants. Forests turned dry lands and bodies of water turned into graveyards. The world was turned into one ad well.

Those who weren't directly hit by these weapons were poisoned with the Earth. People continued to die long after the man fell as well. The world everyone once knew was gone, a wasteland left in its place.

***

"How did the land get fixed, papa? It's so green and pretty where we live."

"Ah, not all the planet is, but that's a tale for another time. You need to sleep, little one."

"How can I? That story wasn't that great a bedtime story. It was sad!

"Sometimes that's just how to world is."

"I demand another story, papa!"

"Careful now, you don't want to end up like that man."

"Never never! I love people... Even people who can be meanies."

"How about this. Rest now to thoughts of how you think the world was healed. And tomorrow night you can tell me a story? I do love your wild imagination and colorful descriptions, Lukaal."

"Mmm... Okay, papa! I already have lots of ideas."

"I know."