Chapter Six - Breathtaking

We've been walking in complete silence for hours. I couldn't really speak with these vines over my mouth while they dragged be behind them like I was some sort of pet. Or, I suppose I should say "like a criminal" since, to them, that's what I was. And there's this heavy awkward atmosphere between these two I didn't see before.

It's more uncomfortable than these itchy vines.

I gave them a gentle tug but kept walking. It was a failed attempt to get their attention. Ze-dric is definitely slowing down with every step. I know he's wounded. Its obvious with those bandages. Why hasn't his so called girlfriend said anything?

He stumbled over a small rock and winced but quickly gathered himself up. I doubt A-llex caught it; I only did because I was directly behind him. This is ridiculous.

I stomped my feet down until I caught enough ground to stop myself. With a look of determination I didn't budge when he pulled on my binds. They both stopped and turned to me. They weren't happy. A-llex looked furious and Ze-dric was mildly annoyed.

"Okay, if I have to get Ze-dric to drag your unconscious body, I will." A-llex placed her clenched fists against her hips. "Keep walking." I shook my head and kicked the ground to further show that I wasn't going to move. When she stomped toward me I took a step back and she began throwing insults at me.

If she won't let me talk, I'll let myself talk. In a few quick movements that I thought threw several times now, I tapped my bindings with a silent bloop. Then I jumped back as far as I could, tapped my mouth to get rid of the gag, and held my hands up high, but before they had time to stop me I shouted. "I just want to rest!" I explained quickly. "I know I'm not fast enough to run away but-"

A-llex jumped me, pushed me to the ground, and pinned me with my arm twisted half way up my back. "I don't care that you're tired, whiny blank. It'll take two days to get there. We can't afford to lose daylight."

"It's not for me!" I spat out a clump of dirt. "I don't know if you're blind or just a big jerk face but Ze-dric kind of fell down a literal cliff just yesterday and neither of us have had water!" I squirmed a little. "He's been getting slower this whole time and he just almost fell on his face."

She didn't speak for long enough that I thought she wasn't going to. "So? He's stronger than he looks. Plus once we get closer, he can-"

"We can rest." Ze-dric spoke and a few moments later I heard a soft thud and a moan of pain. After A-llex put a fresh wrapping of vines around my wrists, she lifted me up so I could see he had sat against a tree. He has his head leaned back and eyes closed while he rested an arm on one of his knees.

A-llex practically tossed me at the ground and I landed on my tailbone with an "Oof." She then sat close to Ze-dric, whispering something to him. I almost missed the tiny nod he gave her. She pulled him close until his head rested on her shoulder with his face buried in her neck. If I looked passed how mean she was and that they're both my captors, I could of said it was cute.

I must have been staring because she shot me a pointed look. It startled me and I looked away at my hands. I could store these bindings away too and make a run for it again. I know I'm hurt too, but the faster of the two wasn't exactly in prime condition either.

If I time it right I could catch them of guard again and hope for the best. But even if I do get away I would probably have every guard they have after me. In my condition I couldn't hope to outrun any number of guards for long. If only I could convince them to let me go.

No, the only way to do that is if I tell them why I'm really out here. I can't tell anyone. Father said I could only tell those I could trust with my life, who I'd trust to be at my side, and who I'd trust with the fate of our world. I hardly know Ze-dric and I'd rather have a dragon eat me alive than trust A-llex with anything.