Chapter Two - A Rough Start

"Are you paying attention?"

"No." I replied to my father absently while lost in a memory. He looks much older now then he did back then and I haven't seen him smile as sincerely since. I miss it.

"Lukaal!" He tossed a bag at me and I only just managed to catch it before it fell to the ground. It had the universal first aid symbol sewn into the front.

"Yes! Yes, papa, I'm paying attention now. Sorry. I was just remembering something." I lifted the bag in front of me, frowning at the four winged circle. I imagined it was staring back me, daring me to go on this journey. Like it knew just as much as I did that I would need it.

My father sighed, the bags under his ever darkening eyes seeming to deepen in that moment. "I know it's hard for you, but you've spent your entire life preparing for this. You can't afford to get distracted now."

"I know, papa," I held the bag to my chest in an attempt to ignore the pain there. "But don't you think I'm ready by now since I've been preparing for so long? I should be allowed to get lost in thought some times."

"Not anymore. The moment you pass the border from our designated area you are to be alert at all times? You hear me? Even if most would be safe traveling the forest, you are not."

"Yeah, yeah, I know. The powers that be want me to succeed but everything against those powers wants me dead. We've gone over this a million times at least once a week since I was 5, papa. I'm going to do my best and I won't die. I've sworn to you before and I'll do it again. I promise you that I'll succeed. I'm ready."

"No you're not." He handed me another bag, this one branded with my favorite fruit. I bag of rations.

"Crap, uh, yeah. I wasn't going to forget that. Don't worry." The first aid bag disappeared at my will with the only evidence it was there being the quickly fading light my ability leaves behind. I grabbed the food bag and did the same with it a moment later. "There, now I am! No sweat."

He raised a dark brow at me with an unimpressed frown. "Oh yeah!" I said as I ducked behind him and grabbed my top from the chair I laid it on. Although I wore I protective under suit, I couldn't go out in just my pants and that. I brushed off the copper colored, sleeveless cloth and made sure the thin, transparent parts were still intact before slipping it on. "Th- No, wait." I grabbed a similar looking jacket near the door and put that with the bags. It's not cold enough for it quite yet. "Now I'm ready."

"Luka..." He started as I opened the mossy door. I spared him a glance back before stopping in my tracks. The light from outside brushed over every new wrinkle and darkened the shadows under his eyes and beside his cheeks. I don't think I've ever seen him look this sad.

"Papa." I stepped back to him, trapping him in a hug, and rested my head against his shoulder. He was frail now, reminding me once again how quickly he aged compared to me, so I was sure to be gentle. He did tell me that he'd be surprised if he lived long enough to see me off. "I'm sorry that it had to be me."

"No." His arms were around me a moment later. They held me tighter than I expected him to be able to do, but they were just as warm as always. "I think I'm glad it's you now. I can't imagine a better person for the job." He pushed me from the hug to grip my shoulders and dig directly into my soul with his eyes. "You're everything great that this world has to offer and I know fate knew that you would be. You're destined for greatness, Luka. I know it."

I chuckled and rolled my eyes at him. "I'm just a messenger, papa. I don't even have to remember anything. I'm just moving a few pieces of paper from point A to point B. Sure, The Oracle said it would a harsh journey, but the person this message is for is much more important than I am."

"Maybe." He smiled at me before letting go and heading out of the room. "Hold on a moment."

"Papa where are you.." Oh. Oh, wow, I'm an idiot. How could I forget that? "Oh my sky child. I'm so sorry papa." I followed him and met him at the doorway to his bedroom.

"There is one thing you have to remember."

"I know. I know. I'm so stupid!"

"Just forgetful. Here." His hand held out an envelope, yellowed and blotchy from age. The wax seal was still intact, swirls of magic runes embroidered into paper as well as the seal. It radiated energy and I could tell it strained my father just to hold it from his shaking hand. I grabbed it quickly, examining it one more time.

"Thank you. I'm sorry you had to get it for me." I bowed in apology as I hugged the envelope. It made me happy just to have it near me. The power it held never overwhelmed me like it did everyone else. It just made me want to smile more. Although, I did have one problem when I had it. "And I swear I won't open it before I get it to the where it belongs. No matter how much it calls for me to."

"I trust you won't. The world trusts you won't."

"The whole world doesn't know what I'm doing." I was staring at the message now, focused on every curve and how the symbols lit a pale blue where my fingertips touched them. I have to know what it holds. I have to.

"They will. Eventually." A kind hand rested on one of my own, lowering them. "Now, put it away, Luka."

"Uh, yeah, yeah. Yes, I should do that." I always like to imagine that when I put items away it's followed with a little bloop sound. In reality it was silent, as if my power itself didn't want anyone to know I exist. Bloop I thought as I watched the paper vanish and the light dissolve.

"Go now, Luka. You cannot delay anymore."

"Yes papa." I hugged him once more. "When I get back we should go to the river again. Have a picnic."

"Of course. We should."