1. Bones

"And nothing, as usual," Snotlout complained as he and Astrid patrolled around Berk on their dragons. "I mean, why do we even do this? No one wants to kill us anymore."

Just then, they flew over the beaches to find what looked like a person in the sand. "You were saying?" Astrid asked slyly and gave him a sideways look before swooping down to the beach.

"Shut up, Astrid," Snotlout mumbled before Hookfang dove down as well. Hopping off of the dragon, he approached the person with Astrid. It was a girl, and she was soaked, sand matted into her hair and tattered clothes. Lying on her stomach, head turned to the side so that she could breath, the girl's shoe-less feet remained in the shallow water.

"I wonder what happened," Astrid worried, kneeling to feel for a pulse.

Looking around in confusion, Snotlout pointed out, "there's no boat."

Astrid's eyes widened as she turned back to look at him and asked, "do you think..?"

Snotlout sighed and gently rolled the girl onto her back. "Well, flying is the only other option; it's not like she just fell from the sky." He looked at her face, speckled with sand and freckles. Strawberry blonde hair was in a knotted bundle around her head. She was a mystery, and beautiful.

Carefully, Snotlout lifted her out of the sand. "I'll take her to Gothi," he told Astrid firmly.

"And I'll let Stoick know what happened," Astrid responded climbing onto Stormfly. Then she was gone.

Hookfang lowered his neck to the ground, allowing Snotlout to climb on with ease. Once he was situated with the unconscious girl, they flew off.

• • •

It had been a couple of days since the unconscious girl had been found. All of the dragon riders were concerned that she'd been out for so long, especially Snotlout, who was being uncharacteristically sensitive about the subject.

"Do you think he's sick?" Tuffnut muttered to his sister as they sat in Gothi's hut, watching Snotlout stare at the girl. Hiccup was also present.

"I don't know, maybe he got hit in the head with something," Ruff responded.

Tuffnut shook his head in confusion and suggested, "maybe he got bit by something poisonous."

"You know, I can hear every word you're saying," Snotlout turned to the twins with an annoyed shout. The twins immediately shut up.

Just then, the girl began to stir. "Ah, she's waking up!" Snotlout announced energetically.

"Yes, Snotlout, we can see that," Hiccup told him irritatedly, "try to be a little quieter, we don't wanna scare her."

Snotlout sneered at Hiccup, but listened. He turned his attention back to the girl. Gothi had cleaned her up when she was first brought in. The sand had been dusted off of her, and hair was brushed out, frizzy but straight. Suddenly, her eyes opened; rich forest green.

"How are you feeling?" Hiccup asked her hesitantly as Gothi prepared medicine for her to drink.

The girl, however, didn't seem to realize that he was speaking to her. She looked around, unphased by when Gothi lifted the liquid to her mouth. She drank it without question or hesitation. With scrunched eyebrows, the girl observed Gothi and finally spoke, "..you're very old."

Gothi raised an eyebrow. Snotlout's mouth hung open for a moment, then he laughed shortly, "hah!"

A look of fear and worry suddenly was plastered on the girl's face and she spoke questioningly, "bones?" She hopped out of the bed and began looking around hurriedly, "my bones!"

Snotlout's grin faded and he wondered, "uh..what?"

"Listen, you need to rest--" Hiccup tried to step in, but he was immediately interrupted.

"I need my bones!" The girl shouted desperately, then she was gone.

The twins and Snotlout were speechless. Finally, Ruffnut raised her eyebrows and stated with an entertained grin, "that was wild."

"Maybe she's just in shock," Hiccup suggested, "she was unconscious for a few days; and who knows what happened to her before she came here?"

"'In shock'?" Snotlout repeated. He laughed obnoxiously before stopping abruptly, his face deadpan, "she's insane."

Hiccup sighed, "well, all the more reason to find her before something bad happens."

Immediately, they fanned out. Hiccup informed his father of the situation, then grabbed Astrid and Fishlegs to help. Snotlout, however, had a good idea of where the girl might be going. And sure enough, when he reached the beach where they'd first found her, there she was.

Hookfang landed and let his rider off. The girl didn't seem to notice or care that Snotlout was there. "Uh, listen..whatever your name is," he began, approaching her cautiously, "I'm trying to help you..um...oh! How about, I help you find your bones? Huh?" Snotlout tried to persuade the girl to at least acknowledge him, but to no avail.

To his surprise, however, the girl seemed to be much more calm than she was in Gothi's hut. She sat peacefully in the sand, hugging her knees, an innocent smile on her face as she stared out over the ocean.

Snotlout, finally reaching her side, sat down as well. Following her gaze, he grinned crookedly. "You like the ocean?"

Still no reply.

Suddenly, he saw something flying toward them from the distance with incredible speed. Before Snotlout could even move, a giant dragon, twice the size of Hookfang, landed right infront of the two.

"Ah!" Snotlout let out a girlish scream, shuffling backwards in the sand.

But the girl stood calmly and uttered a single word, "Bones!"